[SOLVED] XMP enabled or disabled?

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
Now my friend who knows a good amount about computers said to never enable this option but while I’m hearing from other people on the internet is saying that is it fine and doesn’t cause harm to your ram. Right now it’s running at 2200 while with XMP it can be running at 3200 should I enable it or not?

Solution
No he just replied saying "if someone told you to put your hand on a burning grill would you listen to them"
Ok so he really doesn't know what he's talking about, at least when it comes to memory/XMP.

Go into your motherboard BIOS, enable XMP and try out your games. You may see either a boost in FPS or little to no FPS dips and if there are any they should be very mild as opposed to dips that could be like 15+ FPS with the memory running slower.

WildCard999

Titan
So for a AMD Ryzen build the difference between 2133/2200 and 3200 could be as high as 25-30 FPS depending on the game with the testing (Division1/2/Destiny 2/AC titles/Witcher 3/etc) I've done so keeping it at a lower speed is only going to hurt your performance.

Did your "tech" friend say why they don't recommend using it? It's not going to hurt the motherboard nor the memory as your running it at it's rated/tested specs.

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
So for a AMD Ryzen build the difference between 2133/2200 and 3200 could be as high as 25-30 FPS depending on the game with the testing (Division1/2/Destiny 2/AC titles/Witcher 3/etc) I've done so keeping it at a lower speed is only going to hurt your performance.

Did your "tech" friend say why they don't recommend using it? It's not going to hurt the motherboard nor the memory as your running it at it's rated/tested specs.
No he just replied saying "if someone told you to put your hand on a burning grill would you listen to them"

WildCard999

Titan
Ok so he really doesn't know what he's talking about, at least when it comes to memory/XMP.

Go into your motherboard BIOS, enable XMP and try out your games. You may see either a boost in FPS or little to no FPS dips and if there are any they should be very mild as opposed to dips that could be like 15+ FPS with the memory running slower.

Solution
Rtx 2080s
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8 ghz 12 core processor
G.skill tridentZ 2x16 gb ddr4 ram 3200 (rn running at 2200)
A EVGA 850W PSU
Your kit was designed to run at 3200MT/s overclock. XMP settings are for setting it to the advertised specs without manually inputting those specs, because it's easier for the end user who is not into the more technical stuff. It's actually easy to manually set the timings. Edit - Also, the motherboard will reset the memory settings to defaults if it failed to boot so it wont destroy anything by setting it anyway.

Last edited: