Question XMP enabled = post safe mode. (Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F gaming, i9-9900k, Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x8gb) 3200mhz CL16)

Oct 7, 2020
Specs
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F gaming
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Super
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Memory (new, wont work): Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x8gb) 3200mhz CL16
Memory (old, wont work): HyperX Predator (2x16gb) 3200mhz CL16
Memory (old, works): Crucial (2x8gb) 2400mhz CL17
SSD and HDD: Samsung 970 Plus 1TB (some older Samsund 2.5inch SSD and an old hard drive)

When XMP is enabled the computers boots into post safe mode. Happens with both new memory kits. Old Crucial works fine.
I have the latest BIOS 1802, which I used to test both memory kits Corsair and HyperX. The old working memory, Crucial, works only with the old BIOS 1602. All the memory kits work only at non-xmp (auto) settings. All the memories are in the motherboard QVL list.
With both Corsair and Hyperx I have tried ( with no avail): both XMP 1&2 profiles, manual overclocking, raising voltage to 1.40 or 1.45, clearing CMOS, different ram configurations, tried loosening the CPU in case of too much pressure and done the same to the motherboard screws.

Hyperx 2x16gb memory worked when installing in A1, A2 configuration, but did not work with A2, B2 config. The proper dual channel setup is A2, B2.
Old working Crucial 2x8gb memory works fine in A2, B2 configuration.

I have also had my PC looked and worked by local computer shops with no answer to the issue.

What can I do? Also, is the 4x8gb 2133mhz worth it over the 16gb 2400mhz?

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
XMP does not adjust voltage on mine. A Asus Maximus XI w/ a 9900k and 128GB of 3600mhz ram. Our bios's are probably pretty similar.

Manually set the voltage for the Ram per what XMP advises, then where the Ram frequency setting is back off a step or two. Boot.

If it boots now, you need to do some tweaking to get to advertised speeds. Or leave it alone. I'm still trying to get to 3600 on mine, but am close.

Another good test is to burn a USB stick with Memtest86. The test is time consuming, but will tell you if the ram is bad.

Oct 7, 2020
Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid it's no help. I have already tried to change the frequence and voltage manually. Didn't work. I'm quite frankly at a loss on what to do. Something wrong with motherboard I think.

Oct 7, 2020
Have you verified that you have the pairs in the correct slots? Since they are not matched in size, you will have to populate it correctly or it won't work.
yes. some misunderstanding might have happened here, i haven't done any mixing. I've confirmed that only the old Crucial 2x8gb memory works. The newer HyperX or Corsair neither work. I tested the memory kits by themselves and didn't mix them. HyperX 2x16gb as a dual channel A2,B2 didn't work but worked in a single channel. Corsair 4x8gb don't work either.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
That's pretty weird. Is the memory that's bad on Asus's QVL list? Maybe hook up with Corsair and Kingston support to see if they can give you any suggestions to reaching XMP.

I've got a comp that won't reach full mem speed in XMP. I'm one click down on the memory frequency and it's fine.

In bios, memory frequency, set it to something less than XMP is trying to set it to.

With both Corsair and Hyperx I have tried ( with no avail): both XMP 1&2 profiles, manual overclocking, raising voltage to 1.40 or 1.45, clearing CMOS, different ram configurations, tried loosening the CPU in case of too much pressure and done the same to the motherboard screws.
You're using 1.45V on DDR4 ram?!
DDR4 normal voltage is 1.2V. Max safe is 1.35V, you should not go over that. You can damage cpu memory controller.

Oct 7, 2020
That's pretty weird. Is the memory that's bad on Asus's QVL list? Maybe hook up with Corsair and Kingston support to see if they can give you any suggestions to reaching XMP.

I've got a comp that won't reach full mem speed in XMP. I'm one click down on the memory frequency and it's fine.

In bios, memory frequency, set it to something less than XMP is trying to set it to.
yeah i've tried different frequencies, no success. tried 2400mhz, 2600, 2666, 2800, 3000. No dice. All the memories are in the Asus QVL list.