May 2, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am trying to activate XMP on my computer through the UEFI interface however I get the error saying that the "previous overclocking settings have failed". Sorry for the long post but I do believe that "devil's in the details", so here is some context to the issue:

I had this build for a bit more than a year and about two weeks ago I decided to buy an additional kit of RAM (2 x 16) and use it along with the existing one (2 x 8). When I first built the pc a year ago I activated XMP from day one and I had no issues with it. Two weeks ago when I installed the new kit I didn't touch the XMP setting. Then I also ran the bootable MemTest86 for about 2 hours and no errors where found (I am aware that this is not prooving that the RAM is perfectly good). However, I started to experience crashing in games, I played a lot of Snowrunner the past days and I get a crash every 10-40 minutes. When inspecting the log of the crash it says "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access". I also tried GTA 5 which I played a lot before installing the new kit without errors, and I was, again, "greeted" with a crash in less than an hour of playtime, inspecting the windows event viewer I discovered that the crash was caused by a "Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll".

I decided to go and turn off the XMP setting in the UEFI. I did that and I managed to play Snowrunner for 6 hours and GTA 5 for about 4 hours with no crash or errors. Then I went back to UEFI to turn on the XMP and I was greeted by the "Overclocking settings have failed. Press F1 to enter setup. Press F2 to load default values and continue". I, then, tried a lot of different approaches (like manually setting the voltage to 1.35V or modifying the timings) with no luck, I couldn't turn the XMP on. I did, however, manage to turn it on one time through the MSI Dragon Centre's DPC Latency Tuner, but again, Snowrunner crashed after 15 minutes. I turned XMP back off, and when tried to turn it on again it failed no matter what I tried (UEFI of Dragon Centre), the same "Overclocking settings have failed" error was shown and one time I even got a blue screen with "Your PC needs to be repaired" message.

<----- PC Specs-- --->
CPU: i9 9900K (no OC, just default/stock speeds and settings)
MB: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO
MEMORY:
->the original kit (used for the past year): Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 - CMK16GX4M2D3000C16
->the new kit: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000MHz DDR4 - CMK32GX4M2B3000C15
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX750 750W 80 Plus Platinum Full Modular
STORAGE:
-> Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (where the OS is installed)
-> Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

One thing which I would also like to mention is the layout of the RAM stick in the DIMM modules. They are placed as follows:
DIMMA1 - 8GB (old one)
DIMMA2 -16GB (new one)
DIMMB1 - 8GB (old one)
DIMMB2 - 16GB (new one)

Here is the CPU-Z report uploaded using the Validate button: https://valid.x86.fr/8phihj
And here it the full HMTL CPU-Z report(hosted on GitHub): https://mateigiurgiu.github.io/pcspecs

I know I should be doing a clean reinstall of the OS, however, I am a couple of weeks away from my master's dissertation deadline and a clean reinstall will set me back 2 or 3 days because I need to reinstall everything I use.

I also discovered that the old kit I was using doesn't appear in the compatibility list on the MSI page (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#support-mem-3 ), however, the new one does appear. My idea is that the kits are somehow incompatible with each other when using XMP, or the MB is not smart enough to set the latencies or other settings as it should. I also noticed that they have different SDRAM Manufacturers: Samsung vs SK Hynix.

If would like to know if the kits are incompatible or if the new kit is faulty in order to return it within the 30 days period. What are your thoughts about this?

Solution
A memory change won't require a Windows install. But mix and match memory, especially at high clock speeds is a gamble. If the 48GB RAM is important, then you may have to run at non-XMP speeds due to the differences in the memory kits.

kanewolf

Titan
A memory change won't require a Windows install. But mix and match memory, especially at high clock speeds is a gamble. If the 48GB RAM is important, then you may have to run at non-XMP speeds due to the differences in the memory kits.

Solution
May 2, 2020
Thank you so much for replying. I assume there is also no guarantee that 2 kits are compatible even though they are the same kit, am I right? (like buying the same 2 x 16 kit two times).

Virus Of Cyrus

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
I know its a bit late but I just noticed both those memory kits (the original 16GB & the newer 32GB) are different, or at least one is CL15 & the other is CL16, so they are not the same Ram type, you should have simply purchased a 32Gb set of the exact same Ram as you had & more importantly, if I was you (& I think any gamer would be the same here) I would ONLY use the 2x16gb kit as you will literally Never need more than 32Gb for ANY game, in fact I personally run my games with 2x Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce (water cooled) 1080Ti's in SLI & all games in 4K on Ultra settings (except Red Dead Redemption 2 as nobody can run that poorly optimized game at 4K ultra!) so I push games as far as they will usually go & the absolute most Ram usage Ive ever had was 14.6Gb! & I generally only play the latest games & that particular time I was trying to get the most Ram usage possible by playing Strategy games with as many teams, units & buildings possible. So its possible 16Gb may not be enough in the next few years, 32Gb will most likely be more than enough for at least 7-10 more years! So get rid of one set (the 16Gb kit for sure) if you havent already & Im almost certain you will never have a crash again with or without XMP enabled & you will have more Ram than your PC will know what to do with! 48Gb, besides being a slightly odd amount of Ram is overkill & thats putting it lightly, in fact have a look at some Youtube vids on games & memory usage & u will probably be very surprised at how little even the latest games all use & it may make u feel a lot better about removing that extra 16GB knowing it will never even be used so why have it installed right!