Question XMP 1 & 2 fail with Corsair Dominator Titanium RAM ?

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
I recently bought Corsair Dominator Titanium 6400 Mhz DDR5 6400 Timing 32-40-40-84, CAS Latency 32 & Voltage 1.40V. I matched it with my 14900k and Rog Strix Z790 Dark Hero from the manufacturer's website QVL. The XMP 1 and 2 in the beginning work fine, even after gaming and video rendering. But at idle it gives BSOD. Is there any way i could manually add these timings ? With some kind of guide or anything. I think with XMP on the minor overclock fails gives bsod.

XMP is purely as easy mode overclock but it is still a overclock. For most people it works but everyone has different cpu/motherboard/memory silicon. This stuff is almost unpredictable, they can say 99% of the time it will work but you might be the 1% it does not.

You just need to go back to old school overclocking and set the parameters manually and see what the best you can do. There are many youtube video and web sites that discuss how to change memory timings.

You really want to boot something like memtest86+ and let it run for a while. If can get it run a couple clean passes of this you should never see crashes....note are you sure it is the memory that is causing the crash. With all the controversy involving intel "default" settings on 14900k and crashes it might be the cpu also.

Reactions: Durwesh Naeem

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
XMP is purely as easy mode overclock but it is still a overclock. For most people it works but everyone has different cpu/motherboard/memory silicon. This stuff is almost unpredictable, they can say 99% of the time it will work but you might be the 1% it does not.

You just need to go back to old school overclocking and set the parameters manually and see what the best you can do. There are many youtube video and web sites that discuss how to change memory timings.

You really want to boot something like memtest86+ and let it run for a while. If can get it run a couple clean passes of this you should never see crashes....note are you sure it is the memory that is causing the crash. With all the controversy involving intel "default" settings on 14900k and crashes it might be the cpu also.
Ok, will look into the youtube videos and you might be right. it might not be memory after all.

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

i am using the latest BIOS version of 1202, do you think it might be an issue? do i need downgrade to an older BIOS ?

I recently bought Corsair Dominator Titanium 6400 Mhz DDR5 6400 Timing 32-40-40-84, CAS Latency 32 & Voltage 1.40V. I matched it with my 14900k and Rog Strix Z790 Dark Hero from the manufacturer's website QVL. The XMP 1 and 2 in the beginning work fine, even after gaming and video rendering. But at idle it gives BSOD. Is there any way i could manually add these timings ? With some kind of guide or anything. I think with XMP on the minor overclock fails gives bsod.
Post a link to the ram you bought and the quantity.

If you disable xmp does it make a diff?

You should be able to run with any of the embedded xmp profiles.
Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If it runs ok, your problem is likely elsewhere.
If memtest fails, contact Corsair .
The ram guys support should be helpful.
Likely it will resolve as a replacement sent.

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Run memtest86+

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Post a link to the ram you bought and the quantity.

If you disable xmp does it make a diff?
Yes when XMP is disabled it runs fine,

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-64gb/p/N82E16820982088

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
It looks like the ram is for amd you can fuss with it if you want or send it back and shop for intel ram.
Actually this exact RAM is mentioned in my motherboard and CPUS QVL, It is not an AMD ram. XMP I AND II work fine for a while, then gives BSOD.
This is manufacturer's link sorry i shared the store link before.

Actually this exact RAM is mentioned in my motherboard and CPUS QVL, It is not an AMD ram. XMP I AND II work fine for a while, then gives BSOD.
This is manufacturer's link sorry i shared the store link before.

OK......you bought a 4x16GB kit what happens if you only use 2 sticks in the proper slots?

Durwesh Naeem

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2014
Run memtest86+

So I Ram the Memtest86 on XMP I the pass failed, while on XMP II and default BIOS it passed. what does it mean ?

You need to compare the values in the 2 xmp profiles. One is likely a higher overclock than the other.

Although it takes a bit of digging you can many times tell what failing a particular test means. There might be way to make your own profile with just slight changes to the xmp1 to make it pass.

I have not stayed current on memory overclocking. What you will find is the difference in the performance of most application is undetectable. You might see it in some benchmark but in general it is not worth a lot of effort to get the faster memory settings.
If xmp2 profile is better than the base and is also stable then maybe just run it like that. It is unfortunate that you pay for things that will not work as advertised but a huge amount of computer stuff is all marketing hype to get you to spend more money.

If it was for a business and you could show faster memory let you do 1% more work in a day maybe. Getting a extra 1 FPS in a game where you already get over 100fps is much harder to prove actual value.