Question Xmp is unstable. Help please.

Dec 6, 2019
So I built my computer back in July (ryzen 3000 release). My parts were ryzen 7 3700x, gigabyte X570 aorus pro WiFi, ASUS rog strix rtx2070, and 16gb of trident z rgb 3600mhz cl18. Whenever I tried to enable xmp the computer would fail to post. Bios updates failed to fix the issue. I swapped the ram for trident z neo (same specs) and the issue stayed the same. I tried ryzen master and it was unstable (games crashing, random blue screens). I tried xmp but bumped the voltages to 1.4 and it worked fine at first but then the same crashing issues came back. I swapped out the motherboard for an ASUS rog strix x570e with a clean windows install and was able to post with xmp. I thought my issues were fixed but within 20 minutes of running the computer started freezing and eventually crashed. Could it be an issue with the cpu? I’m honestly stumped at this point and considering switching to intel.

Lutfij

Titan
By clean install, did you create your installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? As for your motherboard BIOS, for both, which version(s) of BIOS are you on for both? Just to double check your claim of latest is found. Often times people miss out a latter revision was out or they used a third party app to update their BIOS.

If you have updates for BIOS pending, manually work your way up to the latest version.

As for the rams, you should ideally input the timings, frequency and voltage manually in BIOS and if the system is unstable, then try add a little voltage. 1.4v is a little high, 1.35v should get you there.

Dec 6, 2019
Yeah that’s how I did the windows install. After the last crash I mentioned last night it would no longer post and the cpu post light was on. Instead of clearing the cmos or any of that I just swapped back to the gigabyte board (cause why spend money on a new mobo that doesn’t fix the issues). I’m running the f10 bios on gigabyte and I hadn’t updated the ASUS board.

The instructions below are not exactly complicated, but they are time consuming and could take 1-2 days to complete if you don't find errors on the first diagnostic tests.

Download and install Memtest86 to a USB drive. Set the USB drive as UEFI boot in the bios and manually set the ram to 2133mhz with 15-15-15-36 timings and 1.2v, then save and exit. Let it boot to the USB drive to run the default automatic test. If you get any errors, stop the test by shutting down the system. Take one module out and run the test again. If you get errors again try your other 2 slots with both modules and repeat the testing. If you still get errors, send the ram back for replacement or refund it to buy something else.

If you don't get any errors, install the modules back to slots A2/B2. Manually set the ram to 3600Mhz with timings 18-22-22-42 and voltage to 1.35, then run the test again. If you don't get any errors after 2'ish hours of testing, you should let memtest86 run all 4 passes which will take around 4-5 hours in total. If you get no errors, use the system until you get a BSOD or a program crashes, then increase voltage to 1.36-1.37 and try testing again. If it still crashes, reduce the speed to 2933/3000 or 3200Mhz and try testing again. If you can successfully complete a 4 pass test, don't get a BSOD or programs don't crash at either 2933/3000 or 3200, the system should be stable by this point, so you can try tighter timings like 16-18-18-38 or leave it alone.

If you you still get crashes from 2933-3600mhz, send the ram back and get a different kit. Sometimes up to 1.4v can make cheaper kits run more stable, but if it can't even work at or near the advertised specs, it's not worth keeping unless the platform itself can't actually run the speed. An X570 motherboard and Ryzen 3000 should be able to run at least 3733Mhz

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Dec 6, 2019
Ok so I know it’s been several days but I’m finally running memtest. No errors were found running at 2133. 3600mhz wouldn’t even post at 1.35v. Currently running memtest with ram settings 3600mhz cl 18 22 22 42 @1.36v. Will give updates soon.

Dec 6, 2019
Games are still crashing at 1.36 and 1.37. 1.38 caused memory management bsod. I did just notice however that the voltage I put in is .02v lower than what is actually being delivered so all of my tests have actually ran at .02v higher than what I said. Set the voltage to 1.35 (which means it’s actually 1.37) and I’m updating my video card driver. And advice?

Dec 6, 2019
Wi
Games are still crashing at 1.36 and 1.37. 1.38 caused memory management bsod. I did just notice however that the voltage I put in is .02v lower than what is actually being delivered so all of my tests have actually ran at .02v higher than what I said. Set the voltage to 1.35 (which means it’s actually 1.37) and I’m updating my video card driver. And advice?
With the 1.35 setting the game just closed, no freezing and crash report. A step in the right direction?

Wi

With the 1.35 setting the game just closed, no freezing and crash report. A step in the right direction?
I would say try running 3200Mhz and see if it still crashes. If you can't get at least 3000Mhz to work, it might mean something else is wrong since you have tried two different motherboards and memory kits. It might be your OS drive. What's the model and type of your OS drive?

Dec 6, 2019
With the two blue screens I got through trying different voltages, one was memory management. That one was when I had it set to 1.38 (it was really getting 1.4). The other bsod was a pop up window saying “your computer ran into an error and needs to restart in one minute” or something like that then blue screened a minute later

Dec 6, 2019
I know I keep posting multiple messages instead of just one but I keep thinking of different things. Would precision boost overdrive be causing any issues? Like should I turn it off or manually OC or can I just leave it on

3200mhz cl18 1.35v is stable
Check what the Infinity Fabric speed is set to. It should be half of the ram. I was trying to avoid having you change too many voltage settings, but I'm suspecting the motherboard is not changing voltages to compensate so you would need increase voltages manually and set Infinity Fabric to 1800Mhz or you could try 1733Mhz which would mean 3466Mhz on the ram.

If you don't want to keep messing with it, I would just leave it on 3200Mhz with CL16-18-18-38 timings and 1.35v with everything else on auto. You are unlikely to notice a difference between 3200 and 3600Mhz in games since it would mostly be affecting load speeds. It might increase fps in a few games, but unless you are trying to maintain exactly 144fps or higher in certain games, the ram speed probably won't matter.

Dec 6, 2019
For 3200mhz I had the infinity fabric set to 1600. With 3600mhz I have the infinity fabric set to 1800 and I’m on an infinite boot loop. Gonna try upping the voltage from 1.35 now to see if it will boot

Dec 6, 2019
It’s finally stable I think. Before I would leave the fabric clock on auto and the pc would keep crashing in game between 1.35 and 1.38 with blue screens and lower and higher voltages than those. Manually set the fabric clock to 1800 and eventually got it stable at 1.4. Been playing r6 for almost an hour now with no crashes whereas before it would crash in 10 minutes. Thanks for all the help.