Question XMP is unstable with my Z490 Aorus Master

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have Z490 Aorus master with 10900k. I run it at stock bios settings with no manual OC of any kind (I will mention that this board removes all power limits from the CPU hence it runs at 4.9ghz all cores infinitely).
until now I was rocking super stable G.skill trident z rgb 32gb (16x2) 3600 CL16 kit in XMP settings 1.35v (F4-3600C16D-32GTZR). I recently upgraded to G.skill Ripjaws V 4000 CL16 kit (F4-4000C16D-32GVKA) , This kit runs at 1.4v. and I admit that my motherboard wasn't on the QVL..but I decided to just go for it.

The Z490 Master is a pretty high-end motherboard and I thought it can handle it with no problem regardless of the QVL. So I cleared the CMOS and installed the new memory and it booted just fine and I could even do some light tasks with no issues, it even passed windows 10 built in memory diagnostic tool. But it in Doom eternal it crashed after 1 minute and it also failed Memtest64.
I decided to not give up and raised the Dram voltage to 1.43 (instead of 1.4) and left all the other XMP settings untouched. and now everything seems to be stable enough. I didn't want to tinker with bios settings but I had no choice.

G.skill tested this Ripjaws kit on a few Z490 motherboard.. none of them is Gigabyte's. But I saw some lower-end ones from MSI (Z490 tomahawk, gaming carbon..etc). And they supposedly test this kit to work on them. When I sent an email to G.skill to ask if this RAM kit would work with my Motherboard they said it is not compatible and I should consult the QVL. I guess they were right :)
Although it does work, only in 1.43v and not the default 1.4.

So what I actually want to know is: what is different with my motherboard that this kit is not stable in XMP settings, that would otherwise will be stable with other boards?

Thx.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for the rams not being on the QVL, QVL's are there to signify that a/the ram kit was used in their test setup prior to the motherboard's launch and that the ram is guarantied to work(leaving any Q.C issues on the ram manufacturer's side) out of the box. If the QVL were to cater to all variants of rams out there, then the motherboard wouldn't have seen the light of day(release).

By upgrade, did you replace or add it to the existing ram kit? What slots are the rams populating? As for the ram specs, did you manually input them in BIOS just to rule out X.M.P being the issue?

Version(not edition) of Windows 10?

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Thx for your comment.
I run fully updated windows 10 (Build 19043) and my motherboard version is F3, which is the first one.. I didn't updated the bios cause I didn't have any reason to, and I doubt it would change anything in this situation (Gigabyte didn't mention anything on RAM improvements in their bios notes).
I fully replaced my previous memory with this kit, so I have two 16gb sticks (slots A2 and B2).
At first when I noticed that I have stability issues I disabled XMP and tested the memory at 2133mhz and it passed all tests successfully. This is what assured me that this RAM is not stable in the XMP profile settings. So I left the XMP settings intact and only raised the DRAM voltage to 1.43. Now it seems stable.

I just don't understand, if this memory kit should work with 1.4v than what's the different on which motherboard? 1.4v is 1.4v..isn't it?
So I thought maybe it's got something to do with how the CPU is configured? In the Master they removed all power limits so maybe the memory controller needs to work harder or something.. I am just guessing.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021
  • Hardware updates—Newer BIOS updates will enable the motherboard to correctly identify new hardware such as processors, RAM, and so on. If you upgraded your processor and the BIOS doesn’t recognize it, a BIOS flash might be the answer.
  • Security updates—The latest BIOS updates come with security updates that help your BIOS to resist tampering, and increase awareness of boot sector viruses (if your motherboard supports boot sector scanning).
  • Increased stability—As bugs and other issues are found with motherboards, the manufacturer will release BIOS updates to address and fix those bugs. This can have a direct impact on the speed of data transfer and processing.
--From Pearson IT Certification website.
A newer BIOS on your board is one way your board manufacturer can add support for RAM that wasn't previously on the QVL list. You should always keep your BIOS updated to the most recent version.

TRENDING THREADS