[SOLVED] XMP Issue on AB350 Pro4

Dec 2, 2021
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: AsRock AB350 Pro4
Bios Version: P5.80
Ram: G.Skill Aegis 3200 MHz ram (F4-3200C16D-16GIS)
Ram slots populated: 2 & 4

Issue: When using XMP profile the computer does not boot and eventually allows me to reset it in the bios. When manually configuring the ram speeds the computer boots, however, the audio is very staticky and the computer eventually crashes*. The static audio issue can be fixed when reducing the ram speed <3000 MHz, however, the computer crashing after a few minutes does not fix regardless of what ram speed (other than 2133 MHz).

* Crashing in this instance means that the computer either fully freezes and repeats the same audio that it had over and over again or just turns off by itself.

What exactly is the issue in this case? I'd really want to get the full potential out of my ram.

Solution

Issue: When using XMP profile the computer does not boot and eventually allows me to reset it in the bios. When manually configuring the ram speeds the computer boots, however, the audio is very staticky and the computer eventually crashes*. The static audio issue can be fixed when reducing the ram speed <3000 MHz, however, the computer crashing after a few minutes does not fix regardless of what ram speed (other than 2133 MHz).

* Crashing in this instance means that the computer either fully freezes and repeats the same audio that it had over and over again or just turns off by...

* Crashing in this instance means that the computer either fully freezes and repeats the same audio that it had over and over again or just turns off by itself.

What exactly is the issue in this case? I'd really want to get the full potential out of my ram.

Hey there,

Sadly, it's to do with the limitations of your motherboard. 1st Gen Ryzen mobo's and CPU's often max out at 2933mhz, sometimes not even that.

They will run fine at default, but XMP can cause the crashes you are talking about.

When you say you've configured them manually, what exactly did you change. You should be changing the voltage and also the primary timings. If you don't do both, again, you may have crashes.

Do make sure you have the ram in the correct slots. Check your mobo manual to be sure, or look online for it.

Solution
Dec 2, 2021
Hey there,

Sadly, it's to do with the limitations of your motherboard. 1st Gen Ryzen mobo's and CPU's often max out at 2933mhz, sometimes not even that.

They will run fine at default, but XMP can cause the crashes you are talking about.

When you say you've configured them manually, what exactly did you change. You should be changing the voltage and also the primary timings. If you don't do both, again, you may have crashes.

Do make sure you have the ram in the correct slots. Check your mobo manual to be sure, or look online for it.

I've went ahead and looked online and it states that I do have the ram in the correct slots.
I'll try slowly upping my ram speed, but how much should I change the voltage by per 100 MHz?
Lastly, to what do I change the timings to? I honestly thought that it was an optional adjustment and have no idea what to even do there.

I've went ahead and looked online and it states that I do have the ram in the correct slots.
I'll try slowly upping my ram speed, but how much should I change the voltage by per 100 MHz?
Lastly, to what do I change the timings to? I honestly thought that it was an optional adjustment and have no idea what to even do there.
There's not a linear voltage to frequency relationship...it's actually a curve with voltage increasing at an ever faster rate as frequency goes up.

DDR4 memory is safe up to 1.5V. If you're having trouble with stability at XMP it often helps to manually set a high voltage....say 1.45V. If it starts and runs OK then try lowering voltage until it stops being stable.

Fiddling with timings is pretty difficult, there are a LOT of them as well as other settings. And many are inter-related...as in one has to be the sum of two others, for instance. If you're really interested you can look for Ryzen DRAM Calculator. It's still a bit twitchy but a true enthusiast might like tweaking with it.

There's not a linear voltage to frequency relationship...it's actually a curve with voltage increasing at an ever faster rate as frequency goes up.

DDR4 memory is safe up to 1.5V. If you're having trouble with stability at XMP it often helps to manually set a high voltage....say 1.45V. If it starts and runs OK then try lowering voltage until it stops being stable.

Fiddling with timings is pretty difficult, there are a LOT of them as well as other settings. And many are inter-related...as in one has to be the sum of two others, for instance. If you're really interested you can look for Ryzen DRAM Calculator. It's still a bit twitchy but a true enthusiast might like tweaking with it.

I do agree with everything you've said, except the ram voltage. There is simply no need to have it set as high as 1.45. It should run at 1.35v and work as expected. There is no reason other than OC further beyond XMP to increase voltage to 1.45v.

I do agree with everything you've said, except the ram voltage. There is simply no need to have it set as high as 1.45. It should run at 1.35v and work as expected. There is no reason other than OC further beyond XMP to increase voltage to 1.45v.
1.45 is just a starting point, the idea is to lower voltage until it stops being stable. It's perfectly safe since ALL DDR4 RAM has to be able to operate at 1.5V.

Ideally it ends up at 1.35, but most likely not. In a less than ideal motherboard, especially one that misreports VRM voltage it can actually be quite far off. It might even end up lower...but can you believe it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 2, 2021

The Ryzen DRAM calculator asks for the memory type, however, when I use Thaiphoon burner to check what die I have all it says is manufacturer Samsung "1 die" and doesn't further elaborate.

The Ryzen DRAM calculator asks for the memory type, however, when I use Thaiphoon burner to check what die I have all it says is manufacturer Samsung "1 die" and doesn't further elaborate.
That's a bit annoying...happened to me too with my SKHynix it only showed part of the die type. In your case, you can probably rule out Samsung B-Die especially if all the package specified timings aren't extraordinarily low...like 14 or less for the first 3 or 4.

So what I did was generate a profile with each of the Hynix memory types. I first used the one with the most relaxed timings and luckily it started up. Then I tried tighter primary timings from the other profiles.

Probably the most important thing to pay attention to are the Termination Block settings: ProcODT, RTT_NOM, _WR and _PARK and the miscellaneous settings: Power Down mode, Gear Down mode, BGS /ALT, and Command Rate.