[SOLVED] XMP issue with MSI B550-A Pro and Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz/CL16

Nov 23, 2021
Hello all,
I helped a friend build his very first gaming PC. I went for a MSI B550-A Pro since it has a nice VRM (for later upgrade to maybe 5950X), a 5600X and got a pair of two 16GB RAM sticks from Kingston, the Fury Renegade 3600MHz/CL16 version (with RGB).
The build seems to be working with the default speed of 2400MHz, but doesn't seem to work at all with either XMP profile.
I also tried manually setting to 3200MHz, even 3000MHz and lots of crashes, apps not starting even if they show up in task manager. Also I tried an Ubuntu install and that crashes as well. It seems to be somewhat stable at the default 2400MHz but he said even so got some random crashes.
I checked the compatibility list and this particular RAM does not show up sadly.
More exactly this is the code for the RAM: KF436C16RB1AK2/32
I was expecting this to not be an issue in these times but sure enough I should have made sure they're compatible.
Anyone using B550-A Pro with this RAM? Or any MSI B550 chipset with this particular ram and 5600X ?
What could I do to try and make it work?
Thanks.

Solution
Soc voltage 1.1v, Dram voltage 1.36-1.4v would be the first step.
Those RAM sticks are most likely made in june or later this year, of course you wont find them on a QVL list.
Nov 23, 2021
Thank you! I'll relay the info.
In the meanwhile if anyone has more tips do share them.
Should I go from the XMP profile settings and start playing with timings apart from setting the voltages?
Also would it be safe to go directly for 1.45V or so for ram voltage and go from there with the other tweaks?

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Thank you! I'll relay the info.
In the meanwhile if anyone has more tips do share them.
Should I go from the XMP profile settings and start playing with timings apart from setting the voltages?
Also would it be safe to go directly for 1.45V or so for ram voltage and go from there with the other tweaks?
1.5v should be daily safe voltage. But if you don't HAVE to run that high, don't.

Dec 12, 2021
Hello all,
I helped a friend build his very first gaming PC. I went for a MSI B550-A Pro since it has a nice VRM (for later upgrade to maybe 5950X), a 5600X and got a pair of two 16GB RAM sticks from Kingston, the Fury Renegade 3600MHz/CL16 version (with RGB).
The build seems to be working with the default speed of 2400MHz, but doesn't seem to work at all with either XMP profile.
I also tried manually setting to 3200MHz, even 3000MHz and lots of crashes, apps not starting even if they show up in task manager. Also I tried an Ubuntu install and that crashes as well. It seems to be somewhat stable at the default 2400MHz but he said even so got some random crashes.
I checked the compatibility list and this particular RAM does not show up sadly.
More exactly this is the code for the RAM: KF436C16RB1AK2/32
I was expecting this to not be an issue in these times but sure enough I should have made sure they're compatible.
Anyone using B550-A Pro with this RAM? Or any MSI B550 chipset with this particular ram and 5600X ?
What could I do to try and make it work?
Thanks.

I have just built a new PC... different RAM (corsair vengeance RGB RS) / motherboard (ASUS Rog Strix b550 F-Gaming) to you but same processor and I am having exactly the same issue when I push it to 3200MHz or run XMP profile. Keen to see how we can fix this.

Nov 23, 2021
Tried 1.45V and a bunch of settings and didn't manage to make it work.
The best I could do was 3400MHz CL16 but it did crash once in a while. No new update from MSI. Just some older beta version that I didn't yet try.
This is kind of sad, that we're still having these issues with quality RAM and not the cheapest MSI board. I feel kind of bad because I helped my friend build his first gaming PC and he has to run the RAM at 2400MHz instead of the 3600MHz advertised.

5600X officially supports up to 3200MHz so 3600Mhz is not guaranteed to work.
It is the IMC on the chip that will determine what frequency you will achieve.
Also there will be no XMP nor D.O.C.P profile for easy Overclocking as 3600Mhz is well beyond JDEC standards.

Ryzen is very picky with RAM so it's best to get a kit that are tested and listed on the MB QVL.
Also ensure you have the latest updated Bios and chipset and some have succeeded by raising SOC voltage slightly to 1.1V.