Question XMP issues with mobo

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I have an ASUS Prime b560-plus mobo with 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz A-Data running in dual channel.

With XMP enabled, the boot time is much longer, sometimes 1-2min before POST is run.
Secondly, with XMP on, POST always shows an error with the message "The system has POSTed in safe mode...." (A long message)

Couple of times windows failed to start and went to recovery screen. I disabled XMP, and started all good. Enable again, and back to slow startup issues. I have reset the bios couple of times.

Not sure if this is significant, The DRAM voltage shows up in yellow on the bios with XMP enabled.

I am currently running memtest86 v9.2 with XMP on, so far no issues. Clk/temp in memtest shows 2619 MHz not 3200MHz. Wondering if the DRAM showing up in yellow and this still showing 2619 MHz are related.

Note: this is a mobo that I got replaced just a day back, as my earlier one went dead. With the earlier one - same model, I did not face this issue. I'm using the replaced mobo for first time.I'm not sure if this is refurbished or new or used.

Last edited:
I have an ASUS Prime b560-plus mobo with 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz A-Data running in dual channel.

With XMP enabled, the boot time is much longer, sometimes 1-2min before POST is run.
Secondly, with XMP on, POST always shows an error with the message "The system has POSTed in safe mode...." (A long message)

Couple of times windows failed to start and went to recovery screen. I disabled XMP, and started all good. Enable again, and back to slow startup issues. I have reset the bios couple of times.

Not sure if this is significant, The DRAM voltage shows up in yellow on the bios with XMP enabled.

I am currently running memtest86 v9.2 with XMP on, so far no issues. Clk/temp in memtest shows 2619 MHz not 3200MHz. Wondering if the DRAM showing up in yellow and this still showing 2619 MHz are related.

Note: this is a mobo that I got replaced just a day back, as my earlier one went dead. With the earlier one - same model, I did not face this issue. I'm using the replaced mobo for first time.I'm not sure if this is refurbished or new or used.
Proper bios?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I found the problem.
The RAM I had it installed in A1, B1. Asus manual recommends to install it on A2, B2 when using 2 RAM modules. After swapping, the boot is normal, I don't find any strange issues. No errors during POST.

What if A2, B2 has problems? Then A1, B1 will be the fallback option, and we will run into the same issue. Very Strange design!!

Memtest passed with no issues.
I replaced it myself, obtained it from asus service center.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Takes longer because 1 and 3 aren't the primary slots and motherboard first checks 2 and 4. Still a couple of minutes is long. May have something to do with memory training if fast boot is on or off. I wouldn't worry about dimm slots failing. It can happen but unlikely.

Reactions: ShaQBlogs