[SOLVED] XMP on 2 different RAM kits?

Przemek_3

Reputable
Jan 29, 2017
I built my first PC about 6 months ago and used a 2x8 2666Mhz RAM kit.

I wanted to upgrade to 32GB so I bought another 2x8 2666Mhz RAM kit (the same one, same brand and same speed)

I installed the 2 RAM sticks 3 days ago, booted it worked fine, then I turned on XMP which Overclocked it to the 2666Mhz. Rebooted it after enabling that and worked fine for like about 24hours at least.

I woke up the following morning (I normally leave my PC on overnight with display turned off) and noticed that my PC was off. Trying to turn on and it didn’t display anything, everything seemed to be functioning, eg fans. But I did see that it was giving me a DRAM, EZ DEBUGGER error.

I then removed the 2 sticks which I installed the other day and tried turning on but still the same problem, I then RESET the CMOS, which then got it working again.

My question is, can having 2 different RAM kits with XMP turned on cause a problem like this? The PC did seem to function normally for like 24hours after installing the 2 sticks and enabling XMP so not sure if it was this issue, would it just not boot at all from the start?

Motherboard is a MSI B460M Bazooka
CPU: i5 10500
RAM is 2x8 Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz

Solution
could be the incompatibility you can get if you run 2 identical sets in a pc. Sets only guaranteed to work with ram sticks in the sets, not with sticks that aren't in the set, even if identical.
if you want 4 sticks to run in XMP, the only guaranteed way is a set of 4 sticks. And even then the motherboard might not run them all in xmp as its an overclock

I don't know if bumping up voltages or anythng would let you run both in XMP. I have no experience trying it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be the incompatibility you can get if you run 2 identical sets in a pc. Sets only guaranteed to work with ram sticks in the sets, not with sticks that aren't in the set, even if identical.
if you want 4 sticks to run in XMP, the only guaranteed way is a set of 4 sticks. And even then the motherboard might not run them all in xmp as its an overclock

I don't know if bumping up voltages or anythng would let you run both in XMP. I have no experience trying it.

Solution

Przemek_3

Reputable
Jan 29, 2017

Hmm so running 4 sticks (within the same kit) doesn’t always guarantee the motherboard will actually run them with XMP?

so in this case would the best way to get this to work is to just get a 2x16 ram kit and just XMP that.

Ofc might try bumping voltage manually but I’m not experienced on doing that so don’t want to damage anything doing that, hence why I’m using XMP.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hmm so running 4 sticks (within the same kit) doesn’t always guarantee the motherboard will actually run them with XMP?
so i have been led to believe. TBH If I bought 4 sticks of ram in a set I would want them to run at full. I would look on motherboard website before hand and check what sticks they have tested in 4 stick config to make sure they should work. I would expect Corsair Vengeance to have been tested in a 4 stick config given how common it is.

what speed it running non xmp? 2400? the speed difference may not be worth the expense. If the only problems you get running 4 sticks is its a little slower, that is still better than getting weird bsod in windows as that is often what can happen if you mix sets. Not sure buying 16gb stick is the answer.

I wouldn't do voltages if you not sure what you doing :)

See what others think.

Reactions: Przemek_3

Przemek_3

Reputable
Jan 29, 2017
so i have been led to believe. TBH If I bought 4 sticks of ram in a set I would want them to run at full. I would look on motherboard website before hand and check what sticks they have tested in 4 stick config to make sure they should work. I would expect Corsair Vengeance to have been tested in a 4 stick config given how common it is.

what speed it running non xmp? 2400? the speed difference may not be worth the expense. If the only problems you get running 4 sticks is its a little slower, that is still better than getting weird bsod in windows as that is often what can happen if you mix sets. Not sure buying 16gb stick is the answer.

I wouldn't do voltages if you not sure what you doing :)

See what others think.
Speed is 2133Mhz without XMP. So I dunno that does sound kinda slow, compared to 2666.

I’ll have a look around and see if the motherboard has anything about this or anyone had any similar questions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems MSI didn't test any 32gb sets from Corsair on that board.
listing is sorted by stick size so its not that simple to find sets as you can't just look for 32gb or you get 32gb sticks. Without looking through entire list and searching by ram names, i don't think the msi mb listing its extremely useful for identifying how many sticks in each set they tested, Only if the ram maker has the size of the set in its title can you find them easy.
2 x 16 also seems difficult to find on their website how its laid out

Corsair memory Finder doesn't have your board at all.

Last edited: