[SOLVED] XMP on = worse benchmarks?

TheoneKooZ

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I finished building my new pc this week but ran into some weird issues while dinging into it's performance. First, here's my build with all the parts: Pcpartpicker

I ran into a couple issues now but the one that is bothering me is about my RAM/CPU performance. With the new Ryzen 5000, a faster ram should help improve the performance of the cpu.
Here's my RAM part# F4-3600C16-16GTZNC. It's some 32Gb of G.Skill@3600Mhz CL16-19-19-1T with Hynix Die.
My bios is updated to last stable.
CPU temps are always below 75C.
Everything should be compatible QVL and all that.

Now here's the issue: When at stock (XMP off) it's setup @2133Mhz CL15-15-15-2T and when it's at that settings I can obtain a score on cinebench r23 of 20-21k. On Time spy it gives a good average score for the gpu but gives 11.5k for cpu vs 13k average for that.
However, when I put XMP on, it's setup @3600Mhz CL16-19-19-1T but the score on cinebench r23 will drop to 17k or below. Where it gets over more wild is in Time spy where the gpu will give the same thing but the cpu drops to around 5.5k and that's it doesn't flat out crash during it.

I tried the benchmarks on individual sticks but the same thing happened.

So at this point, I'm confused. I'm thinking early adopter issue related to bios/new cpu not stable enough yet or maybe motherboard not good enough for the 5900x?

Anyone have an idea why it performs so poorly/what other steps should I do to troubleshot this?

Thank you,

Solution
After reaching MSI support, they recommended to update Bios to the latest beta version.
It did fix the problem and now with XMP enable, my cpu seems to be performing within margin.

I guess being early adopters comes with a fair share of bugs and beta drivers can fix a lot of issues.
I've had some issues with XMP as well, my solution was to manually set the timings in BIOS to the rated maximum, and leave everything else on auto. I think XMP does something weird to the power delivery? Anyways, all issues that I saw were fixed by disabling XMP and putting the recommended profile timings in manually, give that a shot

TheoneKooZ

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
I've had some issues with XMP as well, my solution was to manually set the timings in BIOS to the rated maximum, and leave everything else on auto. I think XMP does something weird to the power delivery? Anyways, all issues that I saw were fixed by disabling XMP and putting the recommended profile timings in manually, give that a shot
I'll give it a shot. Should I enable XMP and set them to manual on top or do it all from manual?

TheoneKooZ

Distinguished
May 30, 2013
After reaching MSI support, they recommended to update Bios to the latest beta version.
It did fix the problem and now with XMP enable, my cpu seems to be performing within margin.

I guess being early adopters comes with a fair share of bugs and beta drivers can fix a lot of issues.

Solution