[SOLVED] XMP Problem

May 23, 2021
Hi everyone. Recently I discovered what xmp is (lol) and tried turning it on. My rig is i5-9400f and B360M HD3 motherboard. Thing is, sometimes when I start playing games with xmp on, fps just drops down to 2 and stays there. It's as if CPU and GPU just stop working for some reason. It helps if I switch to main screen and then back to game but only for like a few seconds, then fps goes down to 2.
Sometimes this **** happens, sometimes not. My ram is 2666, without xmp it's set to default 2133. What could be the problem?
Thanks a lot!

Solution
Setting XMP doesn't always set the infinity fabric too (the clock the syncs the CPU memory controller with the motherboard memory controller). Look for a setting called FCLK or inf fabric where you turned your XMP on and set the value to HALF of what 2666 is, so 1833. Hopefully this is the root of your issue.
Setting XMP doesn't always set the infinity fabric too (the clock the syncs the CPU memory controller with the motherboard memory controller). Look for a setting called FCLK or inf fabric where you turned your XMP on and set the value to HALF of what 2666 is, so 1833. Hopefully this is the root of your issue.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
Infinity fabric is an AMD tech. The EU is running an I5 Intel.

Reactions: Newtonius

jasonf2

Distinguished
Just FYI XMP is an overclock profile. Overclocks do not always play nice with every configuration and unfortunately the marketing of RAM in particular is focused on the highest number they can get stable on some unknown machine somewhere in their labs that more than likely isn't your hardware setup. Intel tends to play nicer than some of the Ryzen varients from my experience with XMP but not always. This is in contrast to what they know is pretty much a universal stable clock setup that they program into their SPD which in my opinion is what should be advertised. For your given situation I would set the RAM back to SPD and verify that the issue goes away. If you want to manually clock up https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-overclocking-guide,4693.html is a great source for how to do it.

May 23, 2021
Just FYI XMP is an overclock profile. Overclocks do not always play nice with every configuration and unfortunately the marketing of RAM in particular is focused on the highest number they can get stable on some unknown machine somewhere in their labs that more than likely isn't your hardware setup. Intel tends to play nicer than some of the Ryzen varients from my experience with XMP but not always. This is in contrast to what they know is pretty much a universal stable clock setup that they program into their SPD which in my opinion is what should be advertised. For your given situation I would set the RAM back to SPD and verify that the issue goes away. If you want to manually clock up https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-overclocking-guide,4693.html is a great source for how to do it.
Thanks, I'll try that. I've turned off XMP today and the problem's gone I think, will test some more tho.