[SOLVED] XMP profile 2 on 4 sticks

Feb 12, 2020
Hello folks,

My 32gb (2x16) G.skill trident Z rgb worked perfectly on XMP profile 2 at rated speed of 3200 MHz.

Today I added two more sticks (2x16) same brand same part number.

PC Won’t POST on XMP profile 2, it is just okay with XMP profile 1 at 2933 MHz.

is that normal? and how to reach rated speed at XMP profile 2 ?

Build specs:
Ryzen 2600 (non x) OCed 4.1 at 1.325V (perfectly stable)
MSI b450 tomahawk MAX
ASUS rog strix RX 570 OC edition 4 GDDR5
TT thermaltake Water 3.0 360
Seasonic 650 watt 80+ gold rated semi modular
(4 sticks x16gb) DDR4 3200 CL16-18-18-38

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Solution
Older Ryzen CPUs were picky with ram, especially with 4 sticks. 2933mhz is officially what is supported by the 2600, so it's not surprising it will run at that.

I would try to rais SOC voltage to 1.1v and Dram to 1.35/1.4v to attempt to get 3200mhz.

If you still can't, you won't lose much performance leaving it at 2933mhz.
Older Ryzen CPUs were picky with ram, especially with 4 sticks. 2933mhz is officially what is supported by the 2600, so it's not surprising it will run at that.

I would try to rais SOC voltage to 1.1v and Dram to 1.35/1.4v to attempt to get 3200mhz.

Reactions: i7mad
Solution
Feb 12, 2020

Thanks for your answer,

if I upgrade to ryzen 7 3700x , is that a guarantee that it will work at 3200 by normal XMP profile 2 ?

because yes I felt a slight performance impact when downgraded to 2933 MHz from 3200 MHz

Last edited:
The other thing is you are mixing RAM not from a matched kit. There is no guarantee that mixing 2 kits will work at rated speed, be stable or even boot. By going with the same model you reduce the chance of issues but you don’t eliminate it. It may be the 2 kits are incompatible at rated speed and will only be stable at slower speed and/or looser timings.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Feb 12, 2020
The other thing is you are mixing RAM not from a matched kit. There is no guarantee that mixing 2 kits will work at rated speed, be stable or even boot. By going with the same model you reduce the chance of issues but you don’t eliminate it. It may be the 2 kits are incompatible at rated speed and will only be stable at slower speed and/or looser timings.

no no I didn't mix different brand. All 4 sticks are same brand same speed same part number

This is not quad channel, mixing 2 dual channel kits is ok as long as you use the matching kit on each dual channel motherboard dimms.
Trust me, tested on numerous builds without any problems. got more then 20 years of experience in IT (especially hardware).

no no I didn't mix different brand. All 4 sticks are same brand same speed same part number
Doesn’t matter, they are separate kits. RAM is only guaranteed in the kit it is sold, combining 2 kits is still mixing separate kits. It’s far less likely to have issues but it can happen. I had this issue when trying to mix 2 Corsair DDR3 kits of 2x4gb of same model number. I’d never had a problem before mixing kits.

This is not quad channel, mixing 2 dual channel kits is ok as long as you use the matching kit on each dual channel motherboard dimms.
Trust me, tested on numerous builds without any problems. got more then 20 years of experience in IT (especially hardware).
I have had it once mixing 2 supposedly identical kits of DDR3 2x4gb in dual channel. I could get the system to boot only by over volting, reducing timing and running at stock speed. I’d never had an issue before. This topic has come up many times on Toms and seen some explanations to why it happens. This does happen but no idea the % likelihood.

Doesn’t matter, they are separate kits. RAM is only guaranteed in the kit it is sold, combining 2 kits is still mixing separate kits. It’s far less likely to have issues but it can happen. I had this issue when trying to mix 2 Corsair DDR3 kits of 2x4gb of same model number. I’d never had a problem before mixing kits.
Then how it is possible to run 2x4gb 1600 mhz and 2x8gb 1600 mhz? Both same latency and brand. It works as charm. also 2x2gb 800mhz with 2x4gb 800mhz also works in another friends pc. YOU MUST MATCH ONLY ON THE DUAL CHANNEL not all 4. As i said you dont have quad channel to match 4 sticks, you have dual channel. For my build(in the signature) yes i cannot use 2x2 kits i must use 4 stick kits. Also dont tell me i must buy 8 stick kit for my build, had working 2x4 sticks kits but had to rma one set because a stick died.

Then how it is possible to run 2x4gb 1600 mhz and 2x8gb 1600 mhz? Both same latency and brand. It works as charm. also 2x2gb 800mhz with 2x4gb 800mhz also works in another friends pc. YOU MUST MATCH ONLY ON THE DUAL CHANNEL not all 4. As i said you dont have quad channel to match 4 sticks, you have dual channel. For my build(in the signature) yes i cannot use 2x2 kits i must use 4 stick kits. Also dont tell me i must buy 8 stick kit for my build, had working 2x4 sticks kits but had to rma one set because a stick died.
It’s not guaranteed to work does not mean it won’t work. I have no idea of the % issue rate but I’ve had it once although many other times it’s worked and seen the topic pop up for discussion on here numerous times when people have had issues. As I said I have seen explanations outlining why but I have no way to validate them. The claim was to do with variations in the silicon material from different batches and went into more detail than I can remember.