Question XMP Profile causing CPU Clock to lower

Oct 23, 2020
Hi there.

Built a PC a few years back, and all the parts were picked out for me then by a buddy. Specs can be seen below

• I7 7700k
  • Gigabyte GA-Gaming B8 MOBO
  • 16 GB (8x2) Corsair Vengeance LPX

Recently, a buddy and I were comparing Frames and our specs and I noticed that he seemed to be getting a higher FPS whilst having the less superior components. After a bit of investigating and installing NZXT Cam, i was able to notice my CPU was only running at 3.3ghz (base clock is 4.2ghz). After some looking around in the Bios, I noticed that an XMP Profile was enabled and noticed it showing higher Clock Frequency than the base clock of the CPU. Thought this was abnormal, so I decided to disable this and see the impact it made. Sure enough, once rebooted NZXTCam was now showing the Base Clock. Decided to do a little bit more investigating of how this may have occurred, I realized that due to the XMP profile no longer being enabled, my RAM was now only running at 2133mhz (Only realizing after 3 years of using the PC, that my MOBO can only support up too 2400mhz on XMP).

Would really be interested in figuring out if there is a possibility of getting my system to run at the CPU Base Clock whilst also running XMP for that extra RAM boost without going out and purchasing a new MOBO.

enable XMP. it should work independent of CPU clock on Intel
maybe you had an older processor and didn't update settings since your upgrade?
  1. Support for DDR4 2400* / 2133 MHz memory modules
    * To support 2400 MHz or XMP memory, you must install a 7th generation processor.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, all the parts within this build are still original. Not overly sure, but when i enable the XMP, it'll put the RAM speeds to 2400mhz (which is the MOBO capacity), but within my BIOS it states its now attempting 5.25 GHz for the CPU clock, which then if I try to boot, the CPU will only run at 3.3ghz (like its capped). Doesn't make sense to me.