Question Xmp Profile Not Working

Jan 6, 2019
I just got new RAM for my pc. Got 2x Trident Z RBG 3200MHz 16GB. I have a Gigabyte Aorus M Rev. 1. I tried enabling XMP Profile 1 for the RAM twice now and both times my screen just goes black for a reboot and then just stays black. I don't see any rebooting or anything. I'm super confused and I've tried looking up forums/videos with no luck to help my situation. First time I tried reseting my cmos which worked and allowed me to boot again but I just want my RAM to be running at its advertised speed. Also, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x and my motherboard's BIOS is updated to version F30. Please help?

zx128k

Reputable
Motherboard support docs here RAM QVL here so you can check if your RAM appears on the list. Check to see if the RAM is installed correctly, sometimes two of the four slots are the faster than the others.

You can try entering your RAM settings manually and see if that helps. Remember to enter the RAM voltage as well. CPU-z is the easiest program to get SPD data from for your settings and they should be found on the packaging you get with your RAM. If your default XMP settings don't work then you could try 3200MHz with all the RAM settings set to auto and see if the system will boot.

Your latest BIOS is F50, normally you update your bios as a last resort.

Reactions: dryaoming
Jan 6, 2019
Motherboard support docs here RAM QVL here so you can check if your RAM appears on the list. Check to see if the RAM is installed correctly, sometimes two of the four slots are the faster than the others.

You can try entering your RAM settings manually and see if that helps. Remember to enter the RAM voltage as well. CPU-z is the easiest program to get SPD data from for your settings and they should be found on the packaging you get with your RAM. If your default XMP settings don't work then you could try 3200MHz with all the RAM settings set to auto and see if the system will boot.

Your latest BIOS is F50, normally you update your bios as a last resort.
I'm a little hesitant to overclock manually because last time it fried most of my components. Am I doing something wrong? if I use xmp am I supposed to change the voltage? or does it automatically change my voltage?

zx128k

Reputable
I'm a little hesitant to overclock manually because last time it fried most of my components. Am I doing something wrong? if I use xmp am I supposed to change the voltage? or does it automatically change my voltage?

xmp usually changes the voltage itself. Most OC profiles use 1.35 volts. RAM overclocking is usually better with the 2700x. https://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-m...ryzen-7-2700x-on-the-amd-x470-platform_205154 Here DDR4 3733MHz was the maximum which is nice.

With RAM overclocking you usually just get a black screen and a failed boot. This can be usually be fixed by clearing the CMOS.

The QVL list will show if the memory you have has been tested to work with your motherboard.

If the above doesn't work try checking if there is bent pins on the CPU. I had the same issue with Patriot 3400Mhz and Ryzen 1800X. RAM was QVL certified and I tried everything from XMP to manual overclock and playing with timings and voltage without being able to run the RAM past 2133Mhz. I removed the CPU and found that some pins were bent which I fixed and then XMP ran without manual overclocking.

Again, try the above first by manually inputting timings and voltage to see if it boots. Also update the bios as it improves memory compatibility.

Jan 6, 2019
xmp usually changes the voltage itself. Most OC profiles use 1.35 volts. RAM overclocking is usually better with the 2700x. https://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-m...ryzen-7-2700x-on-the-amd-x470-platform_205154 Here DDR4 3733MHz was the maximum which is nice.

With RAM overclocking you usually just get a black screen and a failed boot. This can be usually be fixed by clearing the CMOS.

The QVL list will show if the memory you have has been tested to work with your motherboard.
Okay so I tried manually overclocking, set the voltage to 1.35, manually set timings to what xmp has them at: 16, 16, 16, 16, 38, and changed the mhz to 3200. it totally booted but when I went back into BIOS it said 2133 mhz still. so I changed it to 2933 and it totally worked for 1 night. boot my pc the next night and when I signed in it went straight to black screen. mouse was still on screen and move able so I ctrl+alt+del and restarted and it booted fine. I open call of duty, play two games, exit call of duty and I got a BSOD. panicking, I reset my cmos, and changed everything back to normal. I'm not sure if I'm overclocking wrong or not but I kept voltage low, didn't even run the RAM at its advertised speed (2933mhz vs 3200mhz) and I had the timings literally at what the xmp profile said and what the box itself says. is there another setting I'm missing?

Jan 6, 2019
If the above doesn't work try checking if there is bent pins on the CPU. I had the same issue with Patriot 3400Mhz and Ryzen 1800X. RAM was QVL certified and I tried everything from XMP to manual overclock and playing with timings and voltage without being able to run the RAM past 2133Mhz. I removed the CPU and found that some pins were bent which I fixed and then XMP ran without manual overclocking.

Again, try the above first by manually inputting timings and voltage to see if it boots. Also update the bios as it improves memory compatibility.
I checked my pins and they are not bent. thank you for your input.

Reactions: Zizo007

Latest posts