[SOLVED] XMP profile on i7 6700 (non k)

Jan 18, 2020
Hey.. sorry for this question since im a noob u_U

so in pair of my i7 6700 i also have 4 stick of rams from gskill 3000mhz (F4-3000C15D-16GTZB) to be precise and asus z170 MAXIMUS VIII RANGER for the motherboard.

currently my memories are running at 2133 (is the max my cpu support) but i 've readed in this and other forums that my cpu indeed can run 3000mhz (xmp profile) because ''XMP is independent of the locked or unlocked multiplier'' as long as my motherboard supports it.

the problem is that when i go to the bios and enable xmp profile my pc would go black screen (while the pc is running) until i restart the CMOS.

is there a way that i can run my memories at 3000mhz or im stuck with 2133 until i upgrade my cpu for a unlocked one?

i've also updated my bios to the lastest version available

Last edited:
Solution
MOST likely, it is the fact that you have two sets of mixed memory. Even if the memory kits are the same model, using two 2 DIMM kits is the same as any other method of introducing mixed memory into the configuration. There is every possibility of having very different sticks even with the same model. And even if you bought both kits at exactly the same time, directly from the manufacturer, and they both came from the exact same production run, it would still be a potentially problematic situation. The ONLY way the use of memory is ever guaranteed is when it ALL comes together in one kit.

ANY other scenario involves rolling the dice on the fact that the kits or sticks are going to play nice together AND in many cases might involve a...
Did all four DIMMs come in ONE kit, or is this two separate kits of the same model?

Sometimes four DIMMs requires additional voltage to run at a given speed, especially if you are using a locked CPU with a significantly lower multiplier and core voltage.

Also, it might be necessary to change a few other settings in the BIOS as well.

Are you saying that when you enable XMP it INSTANTLY goes black, or it goes black as soon as you save settings and exit the BIOS setup program?

Jan 18, 2020
Did all four DIMMs come in ONE kit, or is this two separate kits of the same model?

Sometimes four DIMMs requires additional voltage to run at a given speed, especially if you are using a locked CPU with a significantly lower multiplier and core voltage.

Also, it might be necessary to change a few other settings in the BIOS as well.

Are you saying that when you enable XMP it INSTANTLY goes black, or it goes black as soon as you save settings and exit the BIOS setup program?
first thanks for the reply... they are 2 separate kits of the same model.

sorry if i was unclear. the screen goes black after saving settings and restart (the pc restarts but goes black screen and the pc keeps on)
also note that when i enable xmp profile it says " Would you like to apply the all core enhancement with the XMP settings for improved performance? Select "No" for Intel stock operation." i tried both and they give me the same problem

Jan 18, 2020
I suspect that's the limitation on your motherboard
Even B365 can run only 2666mhz
Z370 or even Z390 can do more than 3000
i checked the specs page for my motherboard and it says

4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

MOST likely, it is the fact that you have two sets of mixed memory. Even if the memory kits are the same model, using two 2 DIMM kits is the same as any other method of introducing mixed memory into the configuration. There is every possibility of having very different sticks even with the same model. And even if you bought both kits at exactly the same time, directly from the manufacturer, and they both came from the exact same production run, it would still be a potentially problematic situation. The ONLY way the use of memory is ever guaranteed is when it ALL comes together in one kit.

ANY other scenario involves rolling the dice on the fact that the kits or sticks are going to play nice together AND in many cases might involve a fair amount of fiddling around with timings, DRAM voltage and other settings such as VCCIO and VCCSA among others.

My recommendations are potentially dual.

Either return both kits and get ONE kit that comes with four DIMMs, and this is the BEST option,

OR,

As mentioned by Phaaze88, and as I was planning to mention earlier but needed clarification on WHEN it was going black, try setting the XMP configuration and then, BEFORE saving settings and exiting the BIOS:

Increase the DRAM voltage by .005v.

Change the VCCIO and VCCSA (System agent) voltage to 1.11250. This will help to bolster the memory controller and stability.

Save settings and exit BIOS.

If it still doesn't POST. Then go back, do it all again, but increase the DRAM voltage by another .005v for a total of .010v increase over the XMP profile voltage setting. Check to see that the VCCIO and VCCSA are still set to 1.11250 and if not set them, save settings, exit.

Rinse and repeat. If you don't get the memory stable by the time you get to 1.4v on the DRAM (Memory) voltage then further increases are not going to be helpful. In fact, by the time you get to 1.37v, you can probably assume that you are not going to get it stable from voltage alone.

At that point, I would refer to the first option, of getting a matched four DIMM kit.

Also, keep in mind that the fact that you have a locked CPU and cannot overclock the CPU in order to give the memory controller a kick in the butt, may be the primary reason for not being able to get the memory to run at that speed. You can also try a lower setting like 2933mhz on the memory frequency.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS