[SOLVED] XMP Settings Causing Significantly Higher CPU Temps?

Sturmgewehr_44

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
For a while I've been aware that my 8700k runs pretty hot. I've never overclocked (ever, not on any CPU), and have pretty sufficient case cooling over all (the CPU cooler is an H100i RGB Platinum). In addition, my case is a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, which despite being a few years old now, is quite a good case and has very good airflow. I was running 3Dmark Time Spy earlier (the CPU test uses AVX2.0), and I was getting max core temps of around 74c (with around 20c ambient temps). This is WAY too high for a stock 8700k. I've had enough with this, to be frank.

I believe that the voltages set by XMP (my RAM also has an 'ROG certified' profile, which functions sort of similar to XMP (I guess?) but boosts the memory clock to 3300MHz instead of 3200MHz) are way too high and are driving my CPU temperatures up, I applied new thermal paste today, with the hope that maybe that would sort it out. Nope. My idles are generally fine though, in the mid 20s. Temperatures under load are, however, quite unsatisfactory. I'm currently testing the auto setting in the UEFI (which defaults at 2133MHz), and temperatures do seem to be potentially 5c better, maybe even 10c.

Can someone advise me on how I can get the XMP-set voltages down to lower temperatures? Again, I am a novice when it comes to all manners of overclocking.

Edit: first image is with XMP disabled, second is with it enabled

ktDJH9v.png

AowBe4j.png

Last edited:
Solution
I believe that the voltages set by XMP (my RAM also has an 'ROG certified' profile, which functions sort of similar to XMP (I guess?) but boosts the memory clock to 3300MHz instead of 3200MHz) are way too high and are driving my CPU temperatures up,...
So are you using the XMP profile from the BIOS, or are you using the 'ROG certified' profile? If it's the 'ROG certified' one, I suggest you try the BIOS XMP profile for 3200MHz and check your CPU temps.
I believe that the voltages set by XMP (my RAM also has an 'ROG certified' profile, which functions sort of similar to XMP (I guess?) but boosts the memory clock to 3300MHz instead of 3200MHz) are way too high and are driving my CPU temperatures up,...
So are you using the XMP profile from the BIOS, or are you using the 'ROG certified' profile? If it's the 'ROG certified' one, I suggest you try the BIOS XMP profile for 3200MHz and check your CPU temps.

Solution