[SOLVED] XMP Slows down my cpu

Mar 30, 2020
Hi there, i was wondering if someone could help me out.

At my first benchmark there was a message: "Performing below potential (22nd percentile) - ensure that a dual+ channel XMP BIOS profile is enabled"

So i went to my bios and change the profile to XMP, afterall i thought it was a good thing because my bios was telling me that my ram was using 2400mHz and on the box it said 3200.

After the reboot my pc slows down dramaticly. I tried another benchmark and it was actualy worse.

Link for benchmark 1 ( The good one with the ram warning) https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25980818

Bad benchmark after turning on XMP:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25982339

Hope someone could help me out, Thanks!

Sincerely Dennis

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Look at your 2nd benchmark run results again. SOMETHING went seriously wrong, and it wasn't just your ram...
Very high cpu background usage, cpu turbo clock at 0.8ghz, and so on...

Are your cpu's temps ok?
Was Windows downloading an update in the background?

Mar 30, 2020
Look at your 2nd benchmark run results again. SOMETHING went seriously wrong, and it wasn't just your ram...
Very high cpu background usage, cpu turbo clock at 0.8ghz, and so on...

Are your cpu's temps ok?
Was Windows downloading an update in the background?
Thank you for your fast reply, i should have checked the temperature. After the bechmark i set the settings back as how it was. I will try it later again with an eye on the temperature

Mar 30, 2020
The temperature was fine, after a BIOS update and a reset to defaults it seems to work:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26009276

The max peek temperature during the benchmark was 60C.
further it was remaining around 40c

As you can read, i am not very famillair with XMP. I was wondering if i should use it or not.
Are you able to give me some advice on this?

The CPU temperature when playing a game with XMP is 45C

Thank you for the replies and the help!

XMP is an automatic sytem OC for your RAM so you don't have to adjust timings, voltage etc. RAM is one of the more tricky components to maually OC. Yes you can use XMP but your RAM at 3200 is well fast enough as it is.

Intel is not so sensitive as Ryzen for it's performance through RAM speed. You will get a small increase overall but it may not even be noticable in games for example, 1 or 2 fps.....

More important your system is stable, just as a matter of interest what PSU do you have? Just wondering if power supply might be the cause of instability during a heavier power draw.

Mar 30, 2020
XMP is an automatic sytem OC for your RAM so you don't have to adjust timings, voltage etc. RAM is one of the more tricky components to maually OC. Yes you can use XMP but your RAM at 3200 is well fast enough as it is.

Intel is not so sensitive as Ryzen for it's performance through RAM speed. You will get a small increase overall but it may not even be noticable in games for example, 1 or 2 fps.....

More important your system is stable, just as a matter of interest what PSU do you have? Just wondering if power supply might be the cause of instability during a heavier power draw.

Thanks for all the help!

I think that my powersupply is the oldest component in my computer, everything else is upgraded.
I am currently using: CORSAIR RMx Series RM650x.
Also in a couble days another 16Gb of ram will be shipped.

Sincerely Dennis

Reactions: Schlachtwolf