[SOLVED] Problem with XMP after adding more RAM ?

matuk01.mt

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018
I bought an extra vengeance lpx 16Gb 3200 ram kit from corsair, I made sure it was the same as my existing 16Gb kit before I bought it from amazon. I installed the new sticks into a1 and b1 and turned on the pc, it stopped and started about 3 times before it finally booted, when I checked the memory in task manager it had registered 32Gb ram was installed but the speed was not 3200, it was the base speed. I then proceeded to go into the bios and found that the XMP profile was not on, I then reset the XMP profile 1 and rebooted and the pc did the same thing as before it finally booted, I took out all the ram and installed the new ram in a2 and b2 and it worked fine and reinstalled the older ram into the other slots it took a while to boot but eventually it did and was recognized in task manager as 32Gb but at the base speed. I installed a program called thiaphoon burner and checked both kits the only difference was the dram manufacturer the old kit was made by Hynix and the newer kit was made by Samsung, is there any hope of getting them both to work with XMP?

ryzen 5 2600x
asrock fatal1ty b450 gaming k4 bios ver 3.40
geforce rtx 2060 super
corsair rm750x psu
crucial p1 500Gb m.2 nvme
2Tb seagate firecuda sshd

Solution
I bought an extra vengeance lpx 16Gb 3200 ram kit from corsair, I made sure it was the same as my existing 16Gb kit before I bought it from amazon. I installed the new sticks into a1 and b1 and turned on the pc, it stopped and started about 3 times before it finally booted, when I checked the memory in task manager it had registered 32Gb ram was installed but the speed was not 3200, it was the base speed. I then proceeded to go into the bios and found that the XMP profile was not on, I then reset the XMP profile 1 and rebooted and the pc did the same thing as before it finally booted, I took out all the ram and installed the new ram in a2 and b2 and it worked fine and reinstalled the older ram into the other slots it took a while to...
I bought an extra vengeance lpx 16Gb 3200 ram kit from corsair, I made sure it was the same as my existing 16Gb kit before I bought it from amazon. I installed the new sticks into a1 and b1 and turned on the pc, it stopped and started about 3 times before it finally booted, when I checked the memory in task manager it had registered 32Gb ram was installed but the speed was not 3200, it was the base speed. I then proceeded to go into the bios and found that the XMP profile was not on, I then reset the XMP profile 1 and rebooted and the pc did the same thing as before it finally booted, I took out all the ram and installed the new ram in a2 and b2 and it worked fine and reinstalled the older ram into the other slots it took a while to boot but eventually it did and was recognized in task manager as 32Gb but at the base speed. I installed a program called thiaphoon burner and checked both kits the only difference was the dram manufacturer the old kit was made by Hynix and the newer kit was made by Samsung, is there any hope of getting them both to work with XMP?

ryzen 5 2600x
asrock fatal1ty b450 gaming k4 bios ver 3.40
geforce rtx 2060 super
corsair rm750x psu
crucial p1 500Gb m.2 nvme
2Tb seagate firecuda sshd
Get the latest bios and chipset driver see if it makes a diff.
When you mix ram it's hit and miss it does not take much of a diff before they don't play nice together.

Solution
I made sure it was the same as my existing 16Gb kit before I bought it from amazon
I guess the versionnumber is difference. What versionnumber (like V4.31) is mentioned on the sticks next to the voltage of each kit?

The memorycontroller of Zen+ don't like 4 dimms and the problem gets harder when different ICs are mixed. Better sell your current RAM and get 2x16GB back, Crucial preferred.

Latest posts