Question XMS not working, Ram not clocking to full speed

D RUGG

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Hello, I have a Asus z170 Pro Gaming/Aura motherboard. I had a set of ram that is 3200 mhz and the Asus tech support team told me that XMP will not work with that kind of RAM. They recommended I purchase the GSKILL RBG F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, which I did and stuck them into my board today. Problem still occuring, the XMP profile won't work. My computer goes black and then I have to hard reset it to a message saying that overclocking failed and to default the settings. I contacted ASUS and they basically told me they can't help me any further, they don't support overclocking the RAM. I have them in the A2 and B2 slot, I even tried the A1 and A2 slot with the same results, CPU-Z shows both sticks and so does bios but they are still running at stock 2133 mhz.

I'm in dire need of help here, been trying to get this resolved for weeks now and ASUS obviously isn't any help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited for error.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a Asus z170 Pro Gaming/Aura motherboard. I had a set of ram that is 3200 mhz and the Asus tech support team told me that XMP will not work with that kind of RAM. They recommended I purchase the GSKILL RBG F4-3200C16D-16GTZR, which I did and stuck them into my board today. Problem still occuring, the XMP profile won't work. My computer goes black and then I have to hard reset it to a message saying that overclocking failed and to default the settings. I contacted ASUS and they basically told me they can't help me any further, they don't support overclocking the RAM. I have them in the A2 and B2 slot, I even tried the A1 and A2 slot with the same results, CPU-Z shows both sticks and so does bios but they are still running at stock 2133 mhz.

I'm in dire need of help here, been trying to get this resolved for weeks now and ASUS obviously isn't any help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited for error.
I just upgraded from that board and I happened to have the Users book sitting here on my desk. That is a bad number. I have three numbers for GSkill 3200 listed:
F4-3200C16Q-16GRR
F4-3200C16Q-16GRB
F4-3200C16Q-16RRK