Xotic PC NP9150: Striking Back At Kepler With Radeon HD 7970M

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yotano211

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I call it a upgrade. I mostly play older games and the games I play did not really play that good with the 7970m. When I installed the 680m, those games ran much better and less crashes. But I am happy to say that I ordered a special 7970m for my older sager 8150 and it runs like a champ. I am going to sell the 9150 to my friend and keep the older sager. I like to run Boinc World Community Grid.

kyleh334

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Don't get me wrong, at the minute the 680m probably is an descent upgrade over the 7970m from a pure performance point of view. My point was wait for the driver to come out before writing it off as useless. Plus it could be a huge waste of cash if this driver does fix most of the issues, because without the Enduro problems there isn't much between the two cards when it comes to in-game performance. Especially not $300 worth!

yotano211

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
It's been over 4-5 months and only now AMD is evening saying there is a problem with their card. When I spend lots of my money I want that product to fully work from day one, not day 120 or day 180.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
the tomshardware butthurt downrate police dont also know that AMD had shipped twice batches of faulty chips, so even if they mention about drivers, theres still alot of bad chips out there, for ppl looking to upgrade or maybe in their systems.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]you are a liar. we have a time stamp indicating they just found out about the problem in august on notebook review, people on alienware forums and other popular clevo sager forums. your tomshardweare fan buddies who uprate you are also pathetic. I find your lies all posted in here nonstop as gross and your minions shame on them also. there was faulty chips sent first two waves by amdas noted by resellers and then theres enduro. then lack of driver support and then amd asking for people pointing out the issue to have their post removed by other forums. anyways im just here to point out you are a liar. let the downrating begin![/citation]

Cleeve said that AMD knew of the issue, but denied it for months as they worked on a fix. You say that AMD denied the issue for months. That doesn't disprove Cleeve in any way. Even saying that AMD just discovered it in August would be impossible unless you are the liar because according to you, they've been deleting posts about it before that. They can't delete posts that they don't know about. I downrated you not because of any inherent loyalty to Cleeve, but because of your complete failure of logic and groundless accusation in which your own post (if you use logic) shows that what Cleeve said is entirely plausible.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
it's kind of funny how the faster AMD offering marginally outperforms or performs the same as the nVidia offering....AMD really needs to work on their code

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Excluding the apparent Enduro issue, Radeon 7970M>GTX 680M. The 680M is just a GTX 670 with the memory bandwidth cut almost in half (as well as a minor GPU clock frequency drop IIRC, but that's not as important in this case). Even the GTX 660 and 660 Ti have a substantial memory bandwidth advantage. The 680M has a greater memory bandwidth bottle-neck than Llano and is undoubtedly absolute crap in comparison to the 7970M and possibly even older cards too when AA is used. Hopefully, AMD will fix this issue soon, but honestly, I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. They are really taking their time with it and that's just abusing their customers.[/citation]

I've got 7970M in crossfire, and as far as my web-searching goes, they are neck-neck comparable with the SLI 680M. I wouldn't go as far as to say 7970M > 680M.

I'm told the 7970M overclocks beautifully too, but where I am now, with ambient temps of 35C, I don't care to try, but I wonder if you mean it is better in the overclocked state?

As for the driver issue, I installed Catalyst 12.9 beta 2 days ago, and so far it is running sweet. Only one crash so far, and I must say that *may* be due to the fact I'm trying to get my four SODIMMs to run 1866MHz @ CAS9, which thus far is not stable.

My 2c.

G

Funny how people can't do their own research and have to be spoon fed like babies. Before you go buy laptops, DO YOUR RESEARCH. And where is an excellent place to do your research, from customer testimonies. Such as the notebookreview forums.

This issue has been apparent since the release of this 7970m in the EM Clevo models. Unlike the Alienware, the Clevo is unable to completely disable Enduro, which greatly hinders its performance. This is why the 680m is the better buy at the moment. However with the recent showcase of the new hotfix for the 7970m, it does look like there is a ray of hope. If people want to save money and have the patience to wait for more possible driver fixes on Enduro, go right ahead and purchase the 7970m.

G

Funny how people don't do their own research. If they did, they would have know the fix was on the way. As of October 23rd, the 12.11 beta is out. It fixes the Enduro underutilization problems, and increases performance in games not affected by enduro by as much as 20%. Our cards are now scoring insane stock benchmarks that are higher than the stock 680m's (6500 3DMark11 and 25000 3DMark Vantage). People are approaching 8000 overclocked. This card is finally living up to its potential, and it's an incredible value. I understand those that are upset after waiting 6 months for a fix, but it's here, and by God does it work. I'm so glad I saved the cash and got the 7970m over the 680m. I was able to double my RAM and get an ssd with the savings. 7970 FTW!

MrSaturn

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
The NP9150 fro XOTICPC.com is not worth the hassle and high price especially with the HD7970m. My keyboard is already screwed up beyond belief, CNTRL button turns on.. needs hard restard, M key doesn't respond and BSOD when having two videos on youtube up.... WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING THEM!!! Of course its been to long to get a refund (3 months), but I wish that I could. Now I am trying to deal with their tech support and I am sure they will deflect me to 5 different OEMs that will bury me in additional costs. POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.