Xotic PC's New Exodus PC Costs $6,700

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I get it, this PC is supposed to be the top of line but over $6700, its not even Quad SLI (course it would need to be a Haswell system for that). I still haven't figured why builders keep using SSDs in a raid setup. It does nothing for a gaming machine and it is questionable if it is actually useful for any use case.

The price doesn't match the specs, bells and whistles. Even for a boutique builder.

p8ball4life

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Great detailed post on PCMR yesterday about how shitty this company is. Immediately followed by multiple tom's hardware paid ad articles for them...

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
That's a pretty awesome PC right there, but it looks fairly overpriced. The tower is pretty cool looking though.

The problem is, the case is something you can buy from In Win directly. Its not a custom component, you can order it from an online retailer. I have always liked In Win's cases but could never justify the cost.

Neur0nauT

Admirable

I was just reading that post last night. this outfit sound like a complete joke. There's no smoke without fire.

Skyhawk101

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
A quick stop by PCPartsPicker.com shows that all these components (minus the water cooling) add up to 3454$ , whichs makes this build almost 3300$ overpriced. You could literally buy 2 of those sytems for their price.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I get it, this PC is supposed to be the top of line but over $6700, its not even Quad SLI (course it would need to be a Haswell system for that). I still haven't figured why builders keep using SSDs in a raid setup. It does nothing for a gaming machine and it is questionable if it is actually useful for any use case.

The price doesn't match the specs, bells and whistles. Even for a boutique builder.

It definitely improves your sequential read/write speeds. So, y'know, during the two times in your life where you might copy a single 4GB, awesome.

But yeah, otherwise, it does nothing except add latency. Marketing aside, I think the practical reason for doing RAID0 on 3 SSDs is just for the sake of having all three SSDs as one large volume. RAID1 could accomplish this, but RAID0 would provide some wear leveling. All the SSDs would see an equal amount of wear in RAID0, as opposed to the second and third SSDs doing literally nothing while the first SSD does all the work until you finally do fill up the volume with enough data to utilize the additional SSDs in the array

But mostly marketing. Because this is so volatile as to be just stupid. Honestly, for $6k, they could certainly throw in a 2TB 850 Evo. But nope, they need the bullet point on the press release saying "OMG SUPER FAST SSD RAID0 TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS."

dstarr3

Distinguished
Also, for $6k, they only give you a 1TB hard drive? Please. You can afford to give us a 4TB for that price, AT LEAST. You want to put RAID0 in this somehow? Awesome, do it for data storage instead of the OS drive. Two 2TB hard drives in RAID0 would be great for a system like this, and if it's just simple data storage, it's super easy to back up to safeguard against failure. And for $6k, that's something they could have provided. But nope. They didn't. Because this was designed for people that don't really know what computers do or what they're worth.

PASS.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
They went with 3 lower end SSDs for their RAID setup. This shows a great deal of stupidity. They could have simply gone with 2TB of enterprise PCIe SSD storage (more performance, without the unreliability of the RAID0 setup.

For their price overall, they could have used these parts and still make a profit by charging $6000

They could have gone with a technically better case

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CPdfqs

$5482.77

The custom liquid cooling loop can be skipped. With the 980ti, it does not offer much of a benefit, and a decent closed loop cooler can easily handle a CPU overclock to 4.8GHz with no problems.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($419.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($308.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel DC P3500 2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($2214.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($609.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($609.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $5352.71

This system would offer a far better storage experience with an enterprise level SSD, as well at 4TB of hard drive space (2TB of which can be used for backup of the SSD, and the other 2TB for anime.

Remember, for prebuilds, you do not do custom liquid cooling loops. Most people who buy prebuilds, will never service their liquid cooling system, and thus it will eventually end up with gunked up waterblocks and a host of other issues. Furthermore, most will not know how to modify the loop when upgrading components (e.g., removing a waterblock for an older GPU from the loop so that a new aircooled one can be added, or redoing a portion of the system to get the loo to fig a new videocard with a different waterblock design.

It is overall more trouble than it is worth for those who are not into regular maintenance. For the money saved, you could still do a very high end loop, but it is not worth it.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
They went with 3 lower end SSDs for their RAID setup. This shows a great deal of stupidity. They could have simply gone with 2TB of NVMe SSD storage (more performance, without the unreliability of the RAID0 setup.

For their price overall, they could have used these parts and still make a profit by charging $6000

They could have gone with a technically better case

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CPdfqs

$5482.77

The custom liquid cooling loop can be skipped. With the 980ti, it does not offer much of a benefit, and a decent closed loop cooler can easily handle a CPU overclock to 4.8GHz with no problems.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($308.94 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel DC P3500 2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive ($2214.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $5352.71

This system would offer a far better storage experience with an enterprise level SSD, as well at 4TB of hard drive space (2TB of which can be used for backup of the SSD, and the other 2TB for anime.

Remember, for prebuilds, you do not do custom liquid cooling loops. Most people who buy prebuilds, will never service their liquid cooling system, and thus it will eventually end up with gunked up waterblocks and a host of other issues. Furthermore, most will not know how to modify the loop when upgrading components (e.g., removing a waterblock for an older GPU from the loop so that a new aircooled one can be added, or redoing a portion of the system to get the loo to fig a new videocard with a different waterblock design.

It is overall more trouble than it is worth for those who are not into regular maintenance. For the money saved, you could still do a very high end loop, but it is not worth it.

Pretty sure you need 10 pro to see all that ram

Pretty sure you need 10 pro to see all that ram

Well i was about to agree with you and mention the same thing but just looked up the ram limit for the different windows edition limitation and turns out were both wrong.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_10

128 GB for the windows 10 home is the limit (which was the same from windows 8/8.1)

Although the Pro edition had a nice heft bump in it limit from 512 GB of ram to 2 TB (yes, Terabytes) of ram.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
This seems more over the top, then top of the line. There are some odd choices there, and certainly overpriced for waht you get.

Why not use 1 big ssd, then 3 small ones in raid 0(talk about risky). SSDs in raid 0 make no sense. 1TB SSDs start at $260 on newegg, 2TB=$712. Only 32 gigs of ram in a pc that expensive? 64 gigs(4*16gb)=$430 on newegg atm. Only a 1tb HD(they are joking right?), a 6tb HGST is only $280 on newegg atm. Only a quad core... the list goes on....

For ~60% of the price you could put together a way nicer system.

Ill make things easy and leave the cpu/mobo/graphics alone.

$520 --- (2) 1tb SSD in raid 1(speed but data safety, but if you really want raid 0 go for it)(that would be 2TB in raid 0)
$560 --- (2) 6tb hds in raid 1(again speed and data safety)(that would be 12TB in raid 0)
$500 --- 64 gigs of ram
$180 --- power supply(same as in article)
$420 --- cpu(same as in article)
$270 --- mobo(same as in article)
$1320 --- (2) gpu(same as in article)
------
$3770, not counting a case, and the windows license, so call it $4k. But i likely would not choose that cpu(rather have a hex core), nor the sli 980s. Im not a fan of the hassles of multi gpu, maybe that will get sorted out when dx12 is mainstream. Choosing a 3.5ghz haswell-e 6 core woudl add $200, opting for a single titan would save $400. So youd end up cheaper, put that money into something else(more ram, more storage, whatever).

Windows 10 home is capped at 128GB of RAM while windows 10 pro is capped at 512GB of RAM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/what-are-the-editions-of-windows-10-available/195a4038-c061-4902-bc2b-35922c9d41bc

Yeah Microsoft for conflicting info on the pro edition of ram limit!

Your link says 512GB and mine says 2TB. lol

At least the Home edition is the same.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Windows 10 home is capped at 128GB of RAM while windows 10 pro is capped at 512GB of RAM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/what-are-the-editions-of-windows-10-available/195a4038-c061-4902-bc2b-35922c9d41bc

Yeah Microsoft for conflicting info on the pro edition of ram limit!

Your link says 512GB and mine says 2TB. lol

At least the Home edition is the same.

home and pro should have uncapped (at least un capped in the sense you will never fit that much ram in a non server motherboard) ram limits sense win 8 i believe.

Here's a build better in every way for about half the price.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($869.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($669.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($669.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($393.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $3625.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-31 14:57 EST-0500

Quad SLI would never work. That would be $2600 alone for the GPUs. Companies need to make money and I'm sure it takes a person quite a while to assemble this especially with the custom water loop. It takes workers and wages, electricity, industrial property taxes, all kinds of things. You can't expect them to make a mere $500 on these things.

@babernet: yours does not include a custom water loop.

One thing to remember is that the price comparison's here are retail prices, Xotic PC more than likely get wholesale/bulk pricing and so pays a fair amount less than we would. I know they need to make a profit, but this seems to be more markup than quality. The components just aren't worth anywhere near the price. For that money, I'd expect a much higher end system.

Looks cool though, lol.

Yeah but the people buying it don't know that. What they are doing is perfectly fine and if I was in charge of the company I'd charge no cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.