xp 32-bit to Win 8 64-bit

robbhicks

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I've tried using an easy transfer cable with Windows Easy Transfer program, but the program on my Win 8 computer says there is a fatal error and closes. Does it work for XP 32-bit to Win 8 64-bit? I'm trying the cable because I am unable to link the 2 computers via a home network, since Win 8 uses homegroup, and XP doesn't have that program Does easy transfer only work for xp 64-bit systems? How else can I do this besides using an external drive?

robbhicks

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Thanks DarkSable. My XP is on an ASUS tablet with a HDD, but my Win 8 in on an ASUS Zenbook Prime with SSD only. I'm clueless about how to even get the Zenbook case open without watching a YouTube video perhaps, much less connect a hdd drive to it!

robbhicks

Honorable
May 11, 2013

Why am I having such a hard time creating a network on which both computers can communicate with each other? XP wants to create a thumb drive that I take to each other piece of hardware to encode it, and I don't see that helping. All of my other hardware is on the Zenbook's network, including printer and WD TV, but I cannot get my old tablet recognized. You have been so helpful, I wondered if you had any thoughts about this workaround?

The trouble is probably because it's a much older OS.

I haven't ever tried to do something like this, but it seems that you might be able to turn the newer OS into a NAS temporarily, and then you'd be able to move files onto it from anything attached to the network normally.
Look at something like this thread? Not sure if it's helpful or not: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?83337-No-need-for-NAS-(use-laptop-and-Win7)