XP 64 bit Hard Drive Size Problem.

Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a brand
new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises the drive as
31.4GB.

I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.

I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.

I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it anywhere,
does it exist?

Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.

Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but none
of them will run.

Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?

Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.

Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.

Thanks :-(

The limit you are hitting is probably NOT the original XP limit, since that
was around 127 Gig.

A limit around 32 Gig (+-) sounds more like a BIOS limit for a motherboard
that is several years old, and whose BIOS has not (or can not) be updated.

"Nanoc III" <Nanoc III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a
> brand
> new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises the drive as
> 31.4GB.
>
> I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.
>
> I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
> Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.
>
> I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it anywhere,
> does it exist?
>
> Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.
>
> Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but none
> of them will run.
>
> Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?
>
> Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.
>
> Thanks :-(

peter

Hi,

How did you format the drive, NTFS or FAT32?
For FAT32, you are limited to 32 GB under XP.
Pls also check the Hdd size in the mobo bios to ensure it shows 250GB.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> The limit you are hitting is probably NOT the original XP limit, since that
> was around 127 Gig.
>
> A limit around 32 Gig (+-) sounds more like a BIOS limit for a motherboard
> that is several years old, and whose BIOS has not (or can not) be updated.
>
> "Nanoc III" <Nanoc III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a
> > brand
> > new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises the drive as
> > 31.4GB.
> >
> > I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.
> >
> > I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
> > Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.
> >
> > I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it anywhere,
> > does it exist?
> >
> > Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.
> >
> > Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but none
> > of them will run.
> >
> > Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?
> >
> > Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.
> >
> > Thanks :-(

Service Pack 1?
No such thing for the operating system you installed.

Sounds like you have a BIOS problem.
Make sure you have the latest BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer.

Also your questions a will be better answered in the 64 bit newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/support.mspx
The Server newsgroup is correct.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Nanoc III wrote:
> Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a
> brand new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises
> the drive as
> 31.4GB.
>
> I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.
>
> I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
> Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.
>
> I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it
> anywhere, does it exist?
>
> Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.
>
> Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but
> none of them will run.
>
> Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?
>
> Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.
>
> Thanks :-(

Wrong group. This group is for Windows XP 32-bit only. Please see the email
you would have been sent when you downloaded the beta, it tells you how to
access the 64-bit groups.
on salads.

Sorry that this is in the wrong forum, I came across this by accident.

The motherboard is also brand new, an Asus AN8-SLi Deluxe.

However the Disk does show up as the smaller size in the Bios.

It is set to Auto detect, very strange?

I will contact ASUS and see if they can help me.

Thanks.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Service Pack 1?
> No such thing for the operating system you installed.
>
> Sounds like you have a BIOS problem.
> Make sure you have the latest BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer.
>
> Also your questions a will be better answered in the 64 bit newsgroups:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/trial/support.mspx
> The Server newsgroup is correct.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Nanoc III" <Nanoc III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a
> > brand
> > new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises the drive as
> > 31.4GB.
> >
> > I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.
> >
> > I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
> > Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.
> >
> > I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it anywhere,
> > does it exist?
> >
> > Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.
> >
> > Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but none
> > of them will run.
> >
> > Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?
> >
> > Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.
> >
> > Thanks :-(

Check the jumper settings on the hard drive - Make sure there is no jumper
on the J46.

"Nanoc III" <Nanoc III@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have just installed Windows XP 64 bit (Service Pack 1, v.1433) onto a
> brand
> new Maxtor 250GB Hard Drive. However windows only recognises the drive as
> 31.4GB.
>
> I have tried altering the size in "Computer Management" but no luck.
>
> I have also tried the Registry fix to allow large Hard Drives from the
> Maxtor site but it will not work in XP 64bit.
>
> I have tried downloading 64 bit Service Pack 2 - can't find it anywhere,
> does it exist?
>
> Automatic updates doesn't find anything at all to download.
>
> Tried downloading various security fixes for 64bit from Microsoft but none
> of them will run.
>
> Does XP 64 bit have a hard drive size limit like the original XP did?
>
> Is there any way I can get XP 64bit to recognise the 250GB Hard drive.
>
> Thanks in advance for ANY suggestions or advise.
>
> Thanks :-(

Have a look here :
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S1222509A