breakthis

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Will MS still sell and support XP after they release Vista? I'm am looking forward to a new OS but I am not willing to upgrade till at least SP1. :twisted:

Thanks!

sturm

Splendid
xp should be supported for at least another 2 to 3 years after vista is released. They just recently dropped me and 98.
As of Oct 10 or something they are dropping support for xp sp1 or older. Sp2 will still be supported.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
anything below xp sp2 is unsupported (such as sp1 or flat sp0)
anything below 2000 sp4 is unsupported
9x/ME/NT systems are out

xp's lifecycle is rumoured to be supported until 2013, 2000's lifecycle will end at 2010

i don't know how much they plan on selling xp for...at least until the next service pack i would guess, you have a few years

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
link for the official statement?

i was in a beta chat session for 2003 sp2 release in the beta participation program with ms, definately no rush for xp sp3 at all as i brought it up...which sux

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
One other thing, Service Pack 3 for WinXP has been officially pushed back to 2008.

I read, I think on Anandtech, that they're pushing SP3 to next year or whatever to encourage people to move to Vista! SP3 for XP was suppose to be released this year!

*sighs*

This is why I'm in the process of moving to linux! A very very slow process!!! :oops:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I know, I just think it's messed up how they like to rape us with a snow shovel, that's all. My wallet is almost completely consumed by the big hole burning through it from my computer build!!! :oops:

Well, I guess it's back to working on the streets again at night. With Christmas around the corner, business should be booming, right? :p

Ignore me, I'm desperately in need of sleep! *passes out on keyboard*

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
One other thing, Service Pack 3 for WinXP has been officially pushed back to 2008.

I read, I think on Anandtech, that they're pushing SP3 to next year or whatever to encourage people to move to Vista! SP3 for XP was suppose to be released this year!

*sighs*

This is why I'm in the process of moving to linux! A very very slow process!!! :oops:

Perhaps it's more of a priority to have people working on Vista so as to ensure any bugs in Vista are ironed out quickly. Personally I don't see XP as being desperately in need of another service pack quite yet. We all remember the problems that came with SP2 so I'd rather they take their time and do a good job of it rather than make a meal of it.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Windows XP SP3 slated nearly four years after SP2

On its Windows Service Pack Road Map page, Microsoft has updated the expected date for Windows XP SP3 to the first half of 2008. This represents the latest in a string of delays. SP3 was originally stated for the second half of this year, which was then pushed back another year to the second half of 2007.

No official reason was provided to explain the recent delay, but a Microsoft official did explain back in January that the company's main focus is on shipping Windows Vista. Some may believe that the delay in SP3 release is an effort to encourage more users to upgrade to Microsoft's newer, more secure OS.

Microsoft is expected to complete Windows Vista and release to manufacturers on or around October 25, 2006.

I know what you're saying, I just figured MS had enough employees to work on both, that's all and I agree. But I still say that M$ needs to get their act together! :evil:

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
According to MS, support for Windows XP Home will be dropped 2 years after Windows Vista's retail release. Last I heard Windows XP Pro will be supported until at least 2011.

See, I saw this coming.
That's why when I built my new rig last year I used XP Pro.
Microsoft can screw over the home users, but they can't afford to anger the corporate customers.
My firm still had some Windows 95 machines running until a couple of years ago! Finally upgraded to Windows 2000 and our newest machines are running XP pro.