XP blue screen on setup with a new SATA drive

sedate

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
So I'm trying to install XP on a single WD Black 1tb drive - I can't get the XP setup utility to load without the a blue screen with a 0x0000007B stop message - which, after some googling, is apparently an improperly configured hdd.

I've got the hdd talking to a Gigabyte p35-ds3r, I've tried everything, even resetting the cmos and flashing the bios - but I can't seem to configure this drive so it will let me install XP on it.

I understand the BIOS settings to AHCI and installing the hdd driver during the beginning of windows xp setup, but I can't even get to the first prompts before it blue-screens with the aforementioned stop message.

At this point I think I've tried every possible combination of settings within the bios but I still can't get passed this blue screen.

Interestingly, if I tell the BIOS to treat the SATA drives as IDE drives, I can get to the partition screen, but it will only see the drive as a 32MB drive - not enough to even install XP obviously.

What gives?

scouser71

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Im having similar issues here, bought a new 80gb drive as a dual boot for xp, have Vista 64bit installed on raid raptors, but even loading the Intel Storage driver and getting the 7b stop message when Windows settup tries to start. have also tried loading the GSata driver, which the raid drives run from.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA x38 motherboard Quad Core. Been wondering if memory is the problem, running 8gb.

Just want a 32bit system to run older stuff on, would Vista 32 be any better?

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

you dont even get to the hit f6 to add driver? its well before any prompts. almost as soon as it boots off cd. also if you put the driver floppy in the drive before you boot the xp cd it will autoscan the floppy and load the drivers. xp wont load 3rd party drivers off cd unless its slipstreamed in.
if you get to the f8 (accept license) before you've hit f6 to load drivers, your too late. ( mine always crash right there when i dont load the drivers).

slipstreaming service pack 3 and the driver onto a cd also helps.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_slipstream_windows_xp_sp3_and_vista_sp1

probly. vista cd's tend to have newer drivers than xp cd's.

scouser71

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

Mine was crashing after loading the SATA drivers(pressing F6) and loading from floppy, before it asks you to accept the licence agreement.

I have now managed to bypass this problem though by using Microsoft Virtual PC installed on my Vista 64, and installing the 32 bit XP OS onto the virtual PC. Works great once you have fully patched the XP OS. Have 2gb, out of the 8gb, designated for the virtual machine.

damdeok

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I experienced an error (Blue Screen of Death - 0x0000007B BSOD) when I tried to do a fresh installation of Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) on my SATA3 Western Digital Harddrive on my desktop PC

Nevertheless, I have managed to install it successfully and I would like to share with everyone.

Here are the required steps
=====================
1. Download Fernando's Modified AHCI Drivers.
- Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI+RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando
(http://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers-digitally-signed.html)

2. You will need to create a customized installation CD which will add Fernando's Modified Drivers into your existing Windows XP installation CD using a free software called nlite (www.nliteos.com)

3. You can download a step-by-step guide to create this customized CD using nLite from this website

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-0x0000007B-BSOD/td-p/114120

4. You can use this step-by-step guide for both desktop PC and notebooks. You will follow the same steps(1 through 9). For Step 10, you will need to select the correct textmode driver for your desktop or notebook.

I have a Intel 8 Series Chipset (H81M) which uses the C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. For Step 10, I selected "SATA AHCI Controller DEV_1C02" which is the hardware ID (www.driveridentifier.com)

My motherboard is Gigabyte H81M-Gaming 3 which is the similar to H81M-S2PV for this purpose.

Wish you luck,
Damdeok

My current system
============
Motherboard: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-H81M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)

Hard Drive:
Western Digital (WD Blue series)
Model: WD5000AZLX (SATA 6 Gb/s)

Device Name: Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Hardware ID : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C02

http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/intelr-8-seriesc220-chipset-family-sata-ahci-controller/driver-detail/EAAD3B53AA834FA1B8B6D4441FB3383C/1654716/b0030e0bc1aa0cab8c80ddfe64994974/1404340572/PCI%5CVEN_8086%26DEV_8C02%26CC_0106