XP CD writing wizard not working

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Recently, XP's built in CD writing wizard has completely
stopped working, and Windows is treating the drive as a
normal CD-ROM drive, even though My Computer still
says "DVD/CD-RW drive (R:)".

How do I get it back without re-installing XP?

Possible solution:

Open to "My Computer", *right* click on the drive's icon, and select
"properties", then select the "recording" tab, and make sure that
"enable cd recording on this drive" is checked..

JM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:47:51 -0700, "Dave"

>Recently, XP's built in CD writing wizard has completely
>stopped working, and Windows is treating the drive as a
>normal CD-ROM drive, even though My Computer still
>says "DVD/CD-RW drive (R:)".
>
>How do I get it back without re-installing XP?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I can't get this far. I have already tried this - and the
recording tab has completely dissapeared.

Hi, I also had a problem I could not solve on my own.
My cd writer was not recognized by XP home edition.
I posted my problem on Windows XP Hardware newsgroup, got one reply, but I didn't know
how to implement the reply. In desperation I poked around my computer
until I stumbled on Help and Support. I asked for support and in less then 24 hours
they e-mailed a detailed step-by-step procedure, which solved my problem.
Since my knowledge of computers is marginal, at best, it was important for me that the
procedure was very detailed and did not assume that I know anything about computers.

If you would like to get support to solve your problem, left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Help and Support (on left panel)>>Get support (on right panel)>Get help from (on left panel)>>Ask support professional for help (on right panel), then answer a series of questions.

Just in case you want to use the procedure that solved my problem, I include it here.
I made it a bit more user friendly but lengthy. Hope you don't mind. All the best, Adam

What to do if CD Writer is not recognized by Windows XP home edition?

I suggest that you print the following procedure and work from paper copy.

In case you don't know how to copy and print text,
point cursor at top left of the text to print (When you loaded XP, etc),
press and hold mouse's left button, drag the cursor to the right of the screen
and then to the bottom right of the text,
release left button, right click anywhere on the text, point cursor at word Copy
and left click on it once.
Open Notepad by left clicking on Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad.
Point cursor at top left of the blank page and right click. Left click on word Paste.
Text should appear on the Notepad's blank page.
To print left click on File (top left)>Print>Print button.

When you loaded XP, was cd burning software like Easy CD Creator loaded on the computer?
Was your CD writer listed in the BIOS? (BIOS is in white writing on black background
right after computer starts up and before Windows XP loads up)
Is it absent from the Device Manager?
To check left click on: Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>
Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Minimize the Computer Management window, you will need it later.
You are unable to load a new driver?
Reloading cd burning software doesn't make any difference?
Yes to all of the above means the culprits are the Upper/Lower Filters.

1. Uninstall any cd burning software from the system.
Then reboot by left clicking on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART

2. Left click START>RUN, Type regedit , left click OK, to open the Registry Editor.
To expand each line, left click on + (plus sign) to the left of each of the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENTCONTROLSET>CONTROL>CLASS.
Find and highlight (left click) on the line: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. To save this file to the Desktop, in case this procedure does not work:
Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, then left click on EXPORT.
Left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in Export Registry File
to highlight it, this will place this line in File Name box, left click on Save. Close Export Registry File.

4. With the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}key still
blue on the left hand panel of Registry Editor,
look on the right hand panel under Name for an entry for Upper Filters. Delete Upper Filters.
To delete, right click on Upper Filters, left click on Delete.
If there is an entry for Lower Filters, delete them as well.
Right click on Lower Filters, left click on Delete. Close the Registry Editor.

5. To restart the machine left click on: START>TURN OFF COMPUTER>RESTART.
To see if your cd writer is in Device Manager left click on the minimized
Comuter Management icon in bottom bar or left click on:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>>Device Manager>Plus sign to the left of DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES.
Right click on your CD Writer and left click on Uninstall.
Left click OK on Confirm Device Removal dialog box. This removes your CD Writer from
the computer, so software can do the procedure of locating newly installed devices.
Now right click on your computer's name at the top of the tree on right hand panel
of Computer Management window, to the right of an icon of a computer,
left click on: Scan For Hardware Changes. This reinstalls your cd writer on your computer.

6. Reinstall cd burning software, reboot and check that your cd writer works OK.