Xp compatibility for older games

Slick500

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Building a budget system, trying to decide between win10 or win 7 professional, I have quite a few XP games. I understand win7 has a compatibility mode, is this possible with win 10

Solution
Windows 7 pro has an optional downloadable VM of XP, but this VM has no D3D acceleration. It's fine for running old programs that don't require GPU acceleration, but not for games other than those that have CPU rendering. If you use virtual box though you can install XP and get hardware acceleration out of it. Get Windows 10 and download virtual box. Install a valid copy of XP on a virtual box vm and enabled D3D acceleration

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Some games MIGHT run on windows 10, I have tried a few old games on windows 10 what didn't work, but some do. I got farcry 1 and quake 3 working on it, but nfs high stakes and city car driving, not so much.

Slick500

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

I seem to remember hearing similar results with win7 but not sure

Mrcrazed

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Windows 7 might be similar, but it will definitely be easier to get older games to run on windows 7.

Windows 7 pro has an optional downloadable VM of XP, but this VM has no D3D acceleration. It's fine for running old programs that don't require GPU acceleration, but not for games other than those that have CPU rendering. If you use virtual box though you can install XP and get hardware acceleration out of it. Get Windows 10 and download virtual box. Install a valid copy of XP on a virtual box vm and enabled D3D acceleration

Solution

Slick500

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

That's certainly enlightened me on the subject thank you