XP Copy & paste stop working? One fix / solution

Hi

Windows XP Copy & paste stop working - a fix / solution

I got a problem with copy & paste suddenly not working in any
application - I've had this happen quite a few times and there's been
nothing I can do about it but reboot. Happens both here and at home,
both systems running fully patched XP Professional.

Today I got annoyed enough to search for an answer, and found plenty of
people with the same (or similar) problem but no solution.

So I dug around a bit more on my own process list hoping to see
something amiss - and I did.

There was an orphaned MSTSC.EXE (terminal services client) which had
obviously not terminated properly. As soon as I killed that process,
everything went back to normal.

Note that this process wasn't showing up in the applications tab, nor
on the taskbar. And there were other instances of MSTSC.EXE working
fine at the time.

Worth a try if you have the same problem, so posting for the common
good in the hope it helps someone out :)

Cheers

AW

Slave2myPC

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Here's how I found the problem and fixed MY copy and paste issue. My Copy and Paste utility became unusable for the following reasons. If anything about this posting is similar to what you have on your system, then I may have the solution for you. I was running Microsoft Office Professional ‘97 as my WORD and spreadsheet programs. However, later on I installed a newer version of WORD that came with my PC that was on a disc called Microsoft Works Suite 2004. I also downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox as an alternate browser. This is when all my problems started. I fixed the Copy and Paste problem by uninstalling all of MS Works Suite, then I installed a completely new and dedicated version of Microsoft Office 2002, then I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox, and I refreshed Internet Explorer back to default settings. I also needed to update my McAfee anti-virus but you may not have to do that depending on what program you use. Everything works great now and my computer even runs faster. No more worries. I never needed to mess with my Registry. I didn’t have to end Processes. I haven’t had to run Spyware programs either. It was all in the programs in had downloaded and installed that caused the problem.

techie555

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I recently encountered this problem weeks ago. I got so pissed about it and contacted my friend technician. He fixed the problem for me, although I didn't know how....

michaelpait

[...]

Grüße Fräulein, Sturm-Verbot-Führer, Probably somebody, or go into another program, it may indicate that people who have connections usually in May of licensed products, catastrophic failures, viruses and malicious attacks, including bombs, known by disgruntled employees, can you help as a I can copy and paste from file, and makes no sense, lots of photos, the feeling in a folder with many folders and some of them have the same name

TRENDING THREADS