Hello,

Can anyone advise me please? XP crashes and restarts the PC from the
beginning as soon as it reaches the point where the Windows XP desktop would
normally appear. Trying to boot in Safe Mode provokes the same behaviour at
the same point in the boot sequence ... howver, swapping the HDD for a drive
with Windows 98SE loaded onto it allows me to boot up and run OK under that
OS, so I'm fairly sure that it's an XP fault (virus maybe). AVG7 didn't bark
before this happened, and ZoneAlarm didn't report anything either. Any
advice greatly welcome.

TIA

Philip Andrews

This sounds like flaky RAM. XP is much more resource demanding than Win98
and won't tolerate flaky RAM.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Philip Andrews" <phil@philandrews.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone advise me please? XP crashes and restarts the PC from the
> beginning as soon as it reaches the point where the Windows XP desktop
> would
> normally appear. Trying to boot in Safe Mode provokes the same behaviour
> at
> the same point in the boot sequence ... howver, swapping the HDD for a
> drive
> with Windows 98SE loaded onto it allows me to boot up and run OK under
> that
> OS, so I'm fairly sure that it's an XP fault (virus maybe). AVG7 didn't
> bark
> before this happened, and ZoneAlarm didn't report anything either. Any
> advice greatly welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Philip Andrews

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Phill Have you just updated to XP, have you installed any software recently.
Try hitting F8 during boot and going to the last known good configuration
option where you have the option to go to safe mode. But doing this you'll
loose anything you have recently installed.
Hope this helps