Ripsta

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram, 450w PSU, Amd 2800XP.

Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.

Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of XP and it loads up ok.
Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it seems like plug and
play is not working.

Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the critical updates the 1st
updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the update requests a
restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen then as soon as the
desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
This is as far as the P.C will get now.

There are no error messages coming up.
All hardware seating checked.
The latest bios is installed.

Any tips??

How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the drivers
supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check to
see what was set and what was disabled?

"ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram, 450w
PSU, Amd 2800XP.

| Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.
|
| Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of XP
and it loads up ok.
| Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it
seems like plug and
| play is not working.
|
| Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the
critical updates the 1st
| updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the
update requests a
| restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen then
as soon as the
| desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
| This is as far as the P.C will get now.
|
| There are no error messages coming up.
| All hardware seating checked.
| The latest bios is installed.
|
| Any tips??

Ripsta

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions supplied, the original
drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in order, after a reformat
1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC seems ok all updates
have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick. Would it help trying
the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots 1&2, maybe slots
1&3 would be better

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the drivers
> supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check to
> see what was set and what was disabled?

> "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram, 450w
> PSU, Amd 2800XP.
> |
> | Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.
> |
> | Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of XP
> and it loads up ok.
> | Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it
> seems like plug and
> | play is not working.
> |
> | Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the
> critical updates the 1st
> | updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the
> update requests a
> | restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen then
> as soon as the
> | desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
> | This is as far as the P.C will get now.
> |
> | There are no error messages coming up.
> | All hardware seating checked.
> | The latest bios is installed.
> |
> | Any tips??

frank

After reading the thread: my opinion is to go back to
jump street. Start over.

Use manufacturers utility to write zeros to harddisk.

Slipstream SP2
<http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html>
Latest MB drivers.
<http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-7N400%20Pro2.htm>

Latest ATI drivers.
<http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=15&submit.y=5>

| Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions supplied, the
original
| drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in order, after a
reformat
| 1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC seems ok all
updates
| have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick. Would it help
trying
| the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots 1&2, maybe
slots
| 1&3 would be better
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the drivers
| > supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check to
| > see what was set and what was disabled?
|| >
| > "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram, 450w
| > PSU, Amd 2800XP.
| > |
| > | Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.
| > |
| > | Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of XP
| > and it loads up ok.
| > | Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it
| > seems like plug and
| > | play is not working.
| > |
| > | Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the
| > critical updates the 1st
| > | updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the
| > update requests a
| > | restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen then
| > as soon as the
| > | desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
| > | This is as far as the P.C will get now.
| > |
| > | There are no error messages coming up.
| > | All hardware seating checked.
| > | The latest bios is installed.

You can try; it might be a mad memory slot, but it's more likely the ram
itself. If it is the ram, you'll know pretty quickly.

"ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions supplied, the
> original
> drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in order, after a
> reformat
> 1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC seems ok all updates
> have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick. Would it help trying
> the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots 1&2, maybe slots
> 1&3 would be better
>
> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>> How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the drivers
>> supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check to
>> see what was set and what was disabled?
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> | Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram, 450w
>> PSU, Amd 2800XP.
>> |
>> | Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.
>> |
>> | Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of XP
>> and it loads up ok.
>> | Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it
>> seems like plug and
>> | play is not working.
>> |
>> | Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the
>> critical updates the 1st
>> | updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the
>> update requests a
>> | restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen then
>> as soon as the
>> | desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
>> | This is as far as the P.C will get now.
>> |
>> | There are no error messages coming up.
>> | All hardware seating checked.
>> | The latest bios is installed.
>> |
>> | Any tips??

Or you can test the RAM. Try www.memtest.org ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

D.Currie wrote:
> You can try; it might be a mad memory slot, but it's more likely the ram
> itself. If it is the ram, you'll know pretty quickly.
>
> "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions supplied, the
>>original
>>drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in order, after a
>>reformat
>>1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC seems ok all updates
>>have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick. Would it help trying
>>the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots 1&2, maybe slots
>>1&3 would be better
>>
>>"Jim Macklin" wrote:
>>

>>>How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the drivers
>>>supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check to
>>>see what was set and what was disabled?
>>>

>>>--
>>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>>

>>>"ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>PSU, Amd 2800XP.

>>>and it loads up ok.
>>>seems like plug and

>>>critical updates the 1st
>>>update requests a
>>>as soon as the

While those tests are pretty good, it doesn't do anything about ram that's
good but incompatible for some reason.

And that was supposed to be *bad* ram in my previous post, although I guess
it could be mad as well.

"Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> Or you can test the RAM. Try www.memtest.org ;)
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> D.Currie wrote:
>> You can try; it might be a mad memory slot, but it's more likely the ram
>> itself. If it is the ram, you'll know pretty quickly.
>>
>> "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions supplied, the
>>>original
>>>drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in order, after a
>>>reformat
>>>1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC seems ok all
>>>updates
>>>have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick. Would it help
>>>trying
>>>the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots 1&2, maybe
>>>slots
>>>1&3 would be better

It is possible that the mobo is interleaving the RAM and 1
&3 and 2&4 are paired, what does your mobo manual say about
installing RAM?

"ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Mobo was left at default settings as per instructions
supplied, the original
| drivers were installed and all bios settings seem in
order, after a reformat
| 1 stick of ram was removed from slot 2 and now the PC
seems ok all updates
| have been installed so maybe it is a dogdy ram stick.
Would it help trying
| the ram sticks in different slots IE: they where in slots
1&2, maybe slots
| 1&3 would be better
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > How did you configure the mobo? Did you install the
drivers
| > supplied with the mobo? Did you open the BIOS and check
| > see what was set and what was disabled?
| >

| > --
| >

| > "ripsta" <ripsta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message

| > | Just upgraded MOBO to GA7N400 pro 2, 2 DDR3200 ram,
450w
| > PSU, Amd 2800XP.
| > |
| > | Also onboard is SB live and 9800pro GC.
| > |
| > | Got through hardware swap over A.I.O, new install of
XP
| > and it loads up ok.
| > | Graphics card and sound card are not being detected it
| > seems like plug and
| > | play is not working.
| > |
| > | Then go to msupdate site to get updates and get the
| > critical updates the 1st
| > | updates(not SP2) are downloaded then installed and the
| > update requests a
| > | restart, the P.C restarts gets to the welcome screen
then
| > as soon as the
| > | desktop comes up the P.C switches off.
| > | This is as far as the P.C will get now.
| > |
| > | There are no error messages coming up.
| > | All hardware seating checked.
| > | The latest bios is installed.
| > |
| > | Any tips??
| > |

Ripsta

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

that was exactly the problem Jim. The drive was formatted again but only with
one stick of ram in it then after all updates were aplied the other stick of
ram was installed into slot 3 and it now works a treat. The mobo is
interleaving and 1&3 and 2&4 are paired, thanks for your help folks!!!

TRENDING THREADS