debbie

a couple of nights ago, we had tow power outages, one
right after the other. i won;t even go into which rocket
scientist here plugged the computer into the wrong part of
the ups backup (the "non-battery part, if you must
know)...suffice it to say that the computer was affected.
so, it went into some kind of non-boot up mode where that
little blue thing just kept creeping along and along and
never booting. i finally figured out how to boot from the
system disk, i ran the restore function, i even ran chkdsk
from there, then i restored from the restore point to a
happier time. i was very pleased with myself (considering
I'm the manager of a bookstore and NOT a computer tech).
And all seemed fine until the next day when, left alone
for a little while, my computer will suddenly just up and
restart! i tried to run chkdsk but it crashes and restarts
half way through. now i'm at a loss! any ideas???
Debbie

Debbie, if you havent done this already rt click on MyComputer>select
Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery-Settings>Uncheck Automatically
Restart Box. Next time XP wants to restart you will probably get a error
message.
Write it down and post it here. Also, do a check for virus, spyware,
adware and trojans.
You can use these sites

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

"debbie" <debbie@logosbooksrecords.com> wrote in message
> a couple of nights ago, we had tow power outages, one
> right after the other. i won;t even go into which rocket
> scientist here plugged the computer into the wrong part of
> the ups backup (the "non-battery part, if you must
> know)...suffice it to say that the computer was affected.
> so, it went into some kind of non-boot up mode where that
> little blue thing just kept creeping along and along and
> never booting. i finally figured out how to boot from the
> system disk, i ran the restore function, i even ran chkdsk
> from there, then i restored from the restore point to a
> happier time. i was very pleased with myself (considering
> I'm the manager of a bookstore and NOT a computer tech).
> And all seemed fine until the next day when, left alone
> for a little while, my computer will suddenly just up and
> restart! i tried to run chkdsk but it crashes and restarts
> half way through. now i'm at a loss! any ideas???
> Debbie

debbie

Thanks, Rich! I've just doen that so hopefully I'll have
more to report next time. I've already done the debugging
part (no problems there). When I run chkdsk, it gets to
66% on Level 1 (of 3) then just dies.....poor thing...it's
dirving me #@$%%^$&$$ crazy!
debbie

networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

>"debbie" <debbie@logosbooksrecords.com> wrote in message
>> a couple of nights ago, we had tow power outages, one
>> right after the other. i won;t even go into which rocket
>> scientist here plugged the computer into the wrong part
of
>> the ups backup (the "non-battery part, if you must
>> know)...suffice it to say that the computer was
affected.
>> so, it went into some kind of non-boot up mode where
that
>> little blue thing just kept creeping along and along and
>> never booting. i finally figured out how to boot from
the
>> system disk, i ran the restore function, i even ran
chkdsk
>> from there, then i restored from the restore point to a
>> happier time. i was very pleased with myself
(considering
>> I'm the manager of a bookstore and NOT a computer tech).
>> And all seemed fine until the next day when, left alone
>> for a little while, my computer will suddenly just up
and
>> restart! i tried to run chkdsk but it crashes and
restarts
>> half way through. now i'm at a loss! any ideas???
>> Debbie
>

>.

debbie

Hi Rich,
OK, here is the message: IRQL_not_less_or_equal
then there is a stop message. I read another post that advised using the
event viewer, blah blah blah and it took me to a page, when i clicked on the
error message that said that my usb card reader from lexar media was not
compatible, and that is what would cause this stop error. But as far as i can
tell i don't have a usb card reader of any kind, or if i do i can't find it!
So i don;t know if this helps! Here are the symptoms again:
1. if left alone for awhile, the computer crashes
2. sometimes it will crash even if not left alone....usually after about an
hour, give or take
3. i've tried running chkdsk a number of times, and each time i get to 66%
of level one, then it crashes.

i hope you can help!!!!
thanks,
debbie

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Debbie, if you havent done this already rt click on MyComputer>select
> Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery-Settings>Uncheck Automatically
> Restart Box. Next time XP wants to restart you will probably get a error
> message.
> Write it down and post it here. Also, do a check for virus, spyware,
> adware and trojans.
> You can use these sites
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> "debbie" <debbie@logosbooksrecords.com> wrote in message
> > a couple of nights ago, we had tow power outages, one
> > right after the other. i won;t even go into which rocket
> > scientist here plugged the computer into the wrong part of
> > the ups backup (the "non-battery part, if you must
> > know)...suffice it to say that the computer was affected.
> > so, it went into some kind of non-boot up mode where that
> > little blue thing just kept creeping along and along and
> > never booting. i finally figured out how to boot from the
> > system disk, i ran the restore function, i even ran chkdsk
> > from there, then i restored from the restore point to a
> > happier time. i was very pleased with myself (considering
> > I'm the manager of a bookstore and NOT a computer tech).
> > And all seemed fine until the next day when, left alone
> > for a little while, my computer will suddenly just up and
> > restart! i tried to run chkdsk but it crashes and restarts
> > half way through. now i'm at a loss! any ideas???
> > Debbie

debbie

Hi Rich,
Well, I just posted a long answer then for some reason there was a post
error and it all went away....this is not going to be a very good day!

so, let me try it again:
here is the error message:
IRQL_not_less_or_equal

and then a stop error sequence.

I viewed another post which directed me to yet another link and found that
this error i received generally indicates an incompatibility between wondows
XP professional and the lexar media usb unversal reader. only problem is, i
don't have that reader, or at least i can't find it if i do! as a matter of
fact i can't find anything that looks like it might be a reader. so i'm not
sure what to do now.

here is the summary of symptoms:
1. if left alone, the computer crashes

2. it has also crashed after aobut one hour, even when in use

3. i've tried to run chkdsk several times and it always crashes as the same
point: 66% into level one. i tried system suite and it did the same thing.

i would sincerely appreciate any help...

thanks in advance,
debbie