XP delays intenet connecting for two minutes.

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I use a licensed WIN XP Home and am wondering why it takes about two minutes after my wallpaper and icons appear before I can connect to my dsl provider? While waiting for those two minutes, the cursor remains as an hourglass and until I am able to connect to the internet. If I try to connect to the Internet or double click any icon during those two minutes, nothing happens. I do use Zone Alarm with the security settings set to high as well as the Windows firewall enabled. Thank you.

cyberbrain

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2005
a problem might be that you dont have enough RAM in your computer, when windows boots up it loads all the services that it needs to function properly. Depending on what you got in your startup it might take a while and that is causing the problems you describe.

cyberbrain

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2005
DSL is an always on connection also, i got DSL so i know that for a fact. I never have to wait for a connection when i reboot my computer. Boot up and it works.

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
My DSL is a dyanamic address and is OFF until I click the ISP icon to sign in with user name and PW, after I boot into windows.. Ive got 1 Gig of RAM and am waiting for a response to my question on THG to what services I can turn off without affecting my DSL connection of WIN XP. My guess is that since my DSL is OFF while booting it is something else in XP thats extending the time for all program apps to become active.

Thanks guys.

riser

Illustrious
Make sure your NIC is set to DHCP, automatically obtain. I've seen in some cases where it takes literally 2 minutes to time out on a static setting without an IP address set.. then it switches over to DHCP.

Don't bother listening to Cyberbrain, he's a little off mark in his comments and so far will only confuse you.

You're using the software that came with your DSL, no router then? If you get the router, you can keep it as an always on connection, otherwise you'll need to use the software.

Now, could it just be that the software is taking 2 minutes to establish a connection and pull a valid IP from your ISP?

You may want to download a trial of something like Diskeeper 9 and run a defrag on your system. It could just be that your network drivers are taking forever to get loaded and work. I would go with the defrag on that.

My WinXP has around 39 processes running and I think 27 services, which is high, but I run a more advanced setup at home which requires these services.

www.blackviper.com should be able to show you which services are vital and which are not. I believe he mentions he can get XP to work on as little as 7 or 9 services. Check it out, good stuff on indepth Windows info.

He is right, though. Some providers use an "always on" connection like cable, while others use PPPoE authentication. Obviously, Inquiring is using PPPoE.

Unless you're using a router, don't set your NIC to automatically obtain an IP. Manually assign it 192.168.0.1. The last digit can be any number between 0 and 255... as long as another computer on your network isn't using the same address. This will eliminate Windows trying to obtain an IP from a non-existant network... and should speed your boot-up a bit. It will not interfere in any way with your internet connection.

riser

Illustrious
DSL has moved more towards cable where you don't need to authenticate? I haven't heard of anyting in my area doing this, still using PPPoE or giving out their own hardware router/modem.. but he's not using a router if I recall.. so it would still need to pick up a an IP, etc. which may be causing the delay.

If the IP is set to static but blank, that would cause the delay also. Not really sure how it happens, but it happened to my work laptop.. which caused a long delay for boot up.

sturm

Splendid
take a look in the startup tab under msconfig and see if there is anything in there that is trying to access the internet at boot. Sometimes windows will hang if a startup program cant complete its task.

Just a thought.

While your in there uncheck anything that you dont need.

TRENDING THREADS