XP File Transfer Wizard waits, and waits, and waits......

I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports, the
old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas, those
star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

In 98,set the wizard as old computer,select the files,settings,put the data
in a new folder that you create,once data is complete,move to a cd,or have
xp wizard browse to the new folder.You dont need a floppy for this,a floppy
would be too small to hold any amount of data.

"John Tipton" wrote:

> I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
> machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
> floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
> serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
> running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports, the
> old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
> googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas, those
> star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

You are, of course, using a cross-over cable and not a straight-through
cable, correct?

steve

"John Tipton" <JohnTipton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Dell with XP & am trying to transfer files from a 5 yr old
> machine (windows 98). I follow the xp file transfer wizard, create a
> floppy and execute on the old machine, & connect the two with a cable to
> serial ports. Both machines have the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard"
> running with the "Please Wait" box displaying. The Dell has 2 COM ports,
> the
> old (Systemax) has 3. I've tried all combinations. I've spent some time
> googling COM ports & null modem serial cables, but without luck. Alas,
> those
> star-crossed machines are still trying to connect.

Andrew:
I've kept all of the data I need in a trimmed down version of "My
Documents". Do I need to use a new name? I'll change just the same. The old
pc cannot burn cds (thats why the cable.)
Steve:
I dont know about the cables - I looked at the back of old & new pcs, saw 2
empty 9 pin slots went to Radio Shack & got a" RS-232c Cable - DB9 female to
DB9 female" cable & attached to the two machines.
(I've worked around computers a long time, but have rarely ventured inside
one. COM1, Serial ports , and null modem serial cables are new (obviously) to
me. I'm getting an education a term at a time. )

Andrew/Steve
A more basic question may be: How can I tell if the the ports/cables are
working or even attached correctly?