Xp graphics card is getting slower and slower

Kazuki1998

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
It been a year since I recived my xp computer from a workplace, I put in a graphics card and it has been performing well until now. Throughout the year I have noticed at times that the graphics card has been getting slower and slower.

Now it's getting to the point that it's going to get even worse and I cannot ignore it.

I play video games, online games, mmd (3D animation graphics) most of the time on it.
It had spend most of it's life offline.

OTIPLEX GX620
Windows xp
Intel Pentium 4HT
I cannot find the properties of my graphics card, a relative may have thrown it's box away.

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem. That would be wonderful

D

Deleted member 1127758

The first thing we need to determine is the model and manufacturer of your Graphics Card. Installing a program called GPU-Z will be able to tell you this. Here is a link for convenience: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ .

Kazuki1998

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

I'll note down everything that it says in the Graphics Card tab.

Name: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
GPU: RV610
Technology: 65 nm
Die size: 82mm2
Release date: 2007
Transistors: 181M
BIOS version: 010.065.000.004.026819(113-B27602-112)
Device ID: 1002-94C1
Subvendor: Dell (1028)
ROPs/TMUs: 4/4
Bus interface: PCI-E 1.1x16@16 1.1
Shaders: 49 unified
Direct X support: 10.0/SM4.0
Pixel fillrate: 2.6 pixels
Texture fillrate: 2.6 G Texels
Memory type: DDR2
Bus width: 64 bit
Memory size: 256MB
Bandwidth: 7.9GB
Driver version: 8.650.0.0/ XP
GPU clock: 648 MHz
Default clock: 650 MHz
AMD crossfire: Disabled

D

Deleted member 1127758

I think the issue may be more to do with how old your system is. The graphics card you have installed is now 8 years old; compared to modern equivalents it is very slow. It may be that the computer itself isn't getting slower, you're just trying to do more intensive tasks on it.

Furthermore, Windows XP is no longer officially supported for consumers by Microsoft. This leaves you vulnerable to security threats. It may be viruses that are slowing your computer down.

I think many people will agree with me when I say that looking at a new computer may be the best way forward, especially considering you do 3D animation.

Kazuki1998

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
My opinion is that I like xp and it's the best suitable for me. And plus my antivirus is free, I have a windows 7 that is installed on a 20 year old computer and is much worse.

I don't find the operating system the problem. It's just the computer and the age.
I don't mind installing a newer operating system seperately so I can have two to choose when I boot it.
I guess that I'll give it a clean.

the animation software that I use, MMD which is a free software, is mostly used with xp and I have Kinect installed which can only be installed with pits and pieces with xp. Higher operating systems don't have the chance.
That's why I use xp, and most of my programs that I use are only compatable with xp.

So what do you reccomend?

I don't care, I'd clean it for the rest of its life and take it offline forever, I want to use xp. Doesnt matter if it's not supported or not.

D

Deleted member 1127758

I think what may be a more suitable solution would to have a newer computer with better hardware and a newer operating system and then to run Windows XP as a virtual machine if Windows XP is a necessity. When you say you have windows 7 installed on a 20 year old computer, am I right in thinking that 20 is a typo? What about Windows Seven do you find worse?

Kazuki1998

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
My windows 7 computer used to have an xp (illegal copy) on it. My XP is like half the size than my windows 7 and I have had it since I was a kid so it's obviously old.
It had once been sent to the repairs because it became so slow and bad that every time I boot it up and click at least once, it would give up and shut down. It had cracks in the hard drive and was given a new hard drive and got a legal xp installed, afterwards we installed windows 7 onto it.
All it's good at is the Internet and everything else it does is slow. So it's been left there since I got the xp machine with the graphics card because it worked so much faster.

Just now I found the box and the CD inside, it says 512 MB on it, there was four programs on the disk and I found out that when I first installed it, I put on the wrong program that was listed on the CD that only gave less MB and shorter the performance that was expected to be.

Not only that, when I tried to fix the problem. It said that no hardware was installed.
So the hardware wasn't installed properly in the first place.

The only reason Win 7 performed worse, is Win 7 has higher minimum requirements to XP. It needs more RAM, and given how dated your system is, there may not be proper driver support either.

As has been suggested, it is time to start over with a new system. Your system is very out dated.

Kazuki1998

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Yeah. I pretty much know that.

At the moment I'm on DELL.com doing online hardware scans so I can see if the PC needs any fixes.
Also I have a problem installing the graphics card.