XP hangs at "installing devices"

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I have a brand new: ECS mobo, AMD 2.7 cpu, 4gb ram. I'm trying to install xp. It hangs at 34 minutes while "installing devices."

Things I have tried:
Going into BIOS and disabling onboard things one at a time.

repairing the previous install.

2 different hard drives.

removing 1 stick of ram.

Any suggestions? This is getting very frustrating. Thanks for your help.

Make sure the RAM is running at the correct Voltage.
Disconnect any other drives or devices, leave just the DVD/CD and the Hard drive you are installing on connected. (You always, always want to unhook any addtional drives when you do a new OS install)
If the install completes, then start adding back things 1 at a time, boot, shutdown, add another, so on and so forth.

If it does not, let us know...........

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
The only devices installed are: a 250 gb seagate hd and a dvd rom drive. Not to sound dumb, but how do I check the voltage of the RAM and how do I know the correct settings?

Look in your BIOS usually on same page as your CPU and RAM speed settings.
You will have to disable the AUTO voltage setting to change it.
Exactly what RAM do you have? Does it give the required voltage it is supposed to run at on the package, or on the stick?

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
yes I found the section. I'll try it and get right back. Do you think I should put both sticks back in, or just try 1 at first? I read somewhere that xp sp1 only recognizes like 3 gbs of RAM.

Both sticks should be perfectly fine.
Was the voltage set too low by default?
If so, make the change, and I'll cross my fingers this does the trick.
I'll hang out for bit while you run the reinstall to see if it works.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
the BIOS does Mv. I need to find a conversion. Right now it's set to 12 (120 mV) I probably need to set it to 19, don't you think?

Yes, I would say that is what it needs. Wow, 1.2 volts is really, really low for the memory you have, I am surprised it will even POST.
Be sure you are looking at the voltage for the memory! 190mv should be 1.9, if my memory serves me correct.......

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

I found a conversion chart for V to mV. I don't think my guess it right. I need to figure out what setting I need to set it at. It ranges from 1 to 63 mV where 1= +10mV 2= +20mV.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

I checked Corsair's website. It says 1.90v too. I'm just having a problem figuring out the conversion. The BIOS says in big letters: Warning overvolting may result in system damage".

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

It appears to be the number you set it at. It didn't fix the hang up though. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Well, leave the voltage up, try with just 1 stick, and be sure to format the drive for a clean install. I have found another thread in another forum where a guy was having the exact same problem using Corsair XMS, he said this did the trick for him.

Also. let it set for about 10 minutes, another said his install would apear to hang at 34 minutes left, but after several minutes would resume, if you have not tried this already.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

I'll try letting it set for 10 min. Thanks for your help.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Well, the 10 min wait didn't work either. I tried to install Ubunt just to see if I could get it to install....nothing. I'm wondering...would having the HD and DVD drive on the same IDE cable cause this? The mobo only has 1 IDE header, so I have them both on the same cable. I also read somewhere if I had a xp sp3 install disk, it would recognize the newer hardware etc. Any thought?

Adding extra voltage to the ram was a good idea......... not sure I would have followed the advice above or not.

The IDE cable............ can't comment on that because I have never done it or even seen that done before.

The shutting down after a certain amount of time......... heat ? Did you put thermal paste on the heat sink and did you put the heat sink on right ?

Is the side of the case off to keep an eye on everything and to let cool air on the internals ?

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Thermal paste was applied. The case has two fans plus the cpu fan. I did have the side off the entire time because I didn't want heat to be an issue.

packrfanfw

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

I finally found a solution to my problem. I googled all day and read and read. I found and old post from like 2005. In the initial set-up windows says to push F6 for raid controller or something; instead I read to push F5 and set-up as normal PC. It worked like a dream.