XP-Home appearance and taskbar

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
machines.

I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
it.

Any help would be much appreciated

Chris wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is
> working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They
> look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look
> that I see on OEM machines.
>
> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any
> difference. No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I
> did or how to undo it.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated

Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons is
selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you have now)
and Windows XP Style (what you want).
Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK

Chris wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
> OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
> they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
> machines.
>
> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
> No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
> it.

What I can't figure out is why you'd *want* to. First thing I do with an
OEM WinXP box is switch to the "classic" theme. It saves screen
real-estate and, as an added bonus, doesn't affect my sperm count.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Fri, 06 May 2005 21:29:30 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
>> OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
>> they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
>> machines.
>>
>> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
>> No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
>> it.
>
>What I can't figure out is why you'd *want* to. First thing I do with an
>OEM WinXP box is switch to the "classic" theme. It saves screen
>real-estate and, as an added bonus, doesn't affect my sperm count.
If your biggest problem is saving the few millimeters "real-estate"
difference between the "classic", and "Xp" taskbar......... you
shouldn't be be worried about your sperm count. Your palm will never
know the difference.
Classic = nerd. XP = Sexy.
Switch to XP style, you might get a woman..... and THEN you can worry
about your sperm count. Use "StyleXP" or "Window Blinds" with a
custom theme, and the woman you get might not require a paper bag on
the head.

§kullywag©-

§kullywag©- wrote:
> Classic = nerd. XP = Sexy.

Maybe for you. I'm heterosexual, myself. Lavender and pastel just
doesn't do it for me.

--
http://www.crisispapers.org/Editorials/germany-1933.htm
Reichstag fire -> 9/11
Communist "arsonist" -> Iraq "weapons of mass destruction"
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Damian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002

Twisted One wrote:
> §kullywag©- wrote:
>> Classic = nerd. XP = Sexy.
>
> Maybe for you. I'm heterosexual, myself. Lavender and pastel just
> doesn't do it for me.

Too much protesting. Usually means you are one.

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
>> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is
>> working OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They
>> look the same as they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look
>> that I see on OEM machines.
>>
>> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any
>> difference. No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I
>> did or how to undo it.
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated
>
> Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
> Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons is
> selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you have now)
> and Windows XP Style (what you want).
> Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK

If that doesn't help have a look at:
Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Chris,

START > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > ADVANCED > VISUAL EFFECTS > "Use visual
styles on windows and buttons" <

Hope that sorts it for ya

Andy

Damian wrote:
> Twisted One wrote:
>
>>§kullywag©- wrote:
>>
>>>Classic = nerd. XP = Sexy.
>>
>>Maybe for you. I'm heterosexual, myself. Lavender and pastel just
>>doesn't do it for me.
>
> Too much protesting. Usually means you are one.

A heterosexual? I just *said* I was. Mac user.

Damian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002

Twisted One wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> Twisted One wrote:

>>> Maybe for you. I'm heterosexual, myself. Lavender and pastel just
>>> doesn't do it for me.
>>
>> Too much protesting. Usually means you are one.
>
> A heterosexual? I just *said* I was. Mac user.

Mac User :: my wise and beautiful friend. Well known fact.

Google:

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 6,100 for mac users are faggots.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; setting the System properties for
best appearance, as well as just about every registry tweak that looked even
close at the site mentioned. Even tried installing TweakUI and playing that
way, but nothing...

When I go to Desktop=>Properties, Windows XP still isn't listed as an
available option; the dropdown only show "Windows Classic Style".

I thought I'd try the XP Distro CD -- added optional components, even tried
to re-install, but since SP2 has already been applied, it just told me that
my current Windows was newer than the CD, and exited.

Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!

On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:06:10 -0400, Chris wrote:

> I'm a complete newbie with XP. Just upgraded from WinME and all is working
> OK except the appearance of the taskbar and windows. They look the same as
> they did under ME, rather than the rounded XP look that I see on OEM
> machines.
>
> I can't find anything in the 'Appearance&Themes' that makes any difference.
> No doubt I've mangled this, but can't figure out what I did or how to undo
> it.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated

Others have already made some good suggestions (Kelly's site has several
different approaches for fixing this). A few other things you could check:

In display properties, color settings should be at 16 bit (medium color
quality) or, preferably, 32 bit (highest color quality). May need a desktop
size of 1024x768 (XP's preferred default setting if supported by hardware).

System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings: Adjust for best
appearance.

Administrative Tools> Services: Themes service needs to be set to automatic
startup type.

Display Properties> Themes: Select XP style here.

Taskbar/Start Menu properties: Choose classic or XP style.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!

DO IT! Try a Knoppix CD first to check compatibility. Speaking of that,
how do you secure your XP system so it's not vulnerable to a Knoppix CD?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Perhaps something here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes
Troubleshooting Themes

Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)

Restore Themes Functionality (Line 187)

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to
Windows Classic (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/visualstylefix.reg) or
(Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

Chris wrote:
> Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; setting the System
> properties for best appearance, as well as just about every registry
> tweak that looked even close at the site mentioned. Even tried
> installing TweakUI and playing that way, but nothing...
>
> When I go to Desktop=>Properties, Windows XP still isn't listed as an
> available option; the dropdown only show "Windows Classic Style".
>
> I thought I'd try the XP Distro CD -- added optional components, even
> tried to re-install, but since SP2 has already been applied, it just
> told me that my current Windows was newer than the CD, and exited.
>
> Just about ready to format and install Linux instead !!!
>

> "TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message

>>> Chris, Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties.
>>> Click the Appearance tab, and look at what your Windows and Buttons
>>> is selected to be. The choices are Windows Classic Style (what you
>>> have now) and Windows XP Style (what you want).
>>> Make your selection, click "Apply," and then OK
>>>

>> If that doesn't help have a look at:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>> Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:44:50 -0400, Twisted One
<twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>Damian wrote:
>> Twisted One wrote:

>>>Maybe for you. I'm heterosexual, myself. Lavender and pastel just
>>>doesn't do it for me.
>>
>> Too much protesting. Usually means you are one.
>
>A heterosexual? I just *said* I was. Mac user.

It was a *JOKE*. Seeing how you take it so seriously shows you ARE a
nerd in need.
And by the way, my stylexp theme is black with flames. Funny how
Lavender and pastel are the first to jump into your mind when your
manhood are confronted.......tsk,tsk..........

§kullywag©-

§kullywag©- wrote:
> And by the way, my stylexp theme is black with flames. Funny how
> Lavender and pastel are the first to jump into your mind when your
> manhood are confronted.......tsk,tsk..........

Lavender and pastel are the default XP theme color scheme, which was
what was originally under discussion here.

Twisted One wrote:
> §kullywag©- wrote:
>> And by the way, my stylexp theme is black with flames. Funny how
>> Lavender and pastel are the first to jump into your mind when your
>> manhood are confronted.......tsk,tsk..........
>
> Lavender and pastel are the default XP theme color scheme, which was
> what was originally under discussion here.

No, it was your 'manliness' (or rather, your lack thereof) that was under
discussion here.

TaurArian wrote:
> Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style
> Changes to Windows Classic
> (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/visualstylefix.reg) or

TA, you didn't give the self-described "newbie" the caution to the OP
about dealing with the registry !-)

> (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.
>

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Well, I've tried all of the suggestions; ...

Make sure you are logged in as a priveleged user or "administrator" of
the system. You may be using an account that is not allowed to change
the desktop ?-)

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You are quite right, I should have posted it:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.