XP Home Hard drive question

My computer died (which uses XP), so I'm using another computer (that uses
XP) until I get it fixed. I run a small business and there are folders I
need from desktop from the Compaq. I've taken the hard drive out, put it
into my other pc and saved shared files that I needed, however I am not able
to access my desktop from the old hard drive. It says "access denied". I'm
wondering if it's because I had a password on that user account.

So to confirm... I put the old hard drive in the new pc, I was able to copy
most files/folder I needed, however am not able to access a few that were
saved on my desktop. With the hard drive connected to my new pc, am I able
to remove the password... or does the fact that it denies access mean the
folders are now corrupt?

I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!

Thanks,
Laura
laurak331@aol.com

You wont be able to run the hd as C: if thats what youre trying,however
open xp,run,type:diskmgmt.msc L.click on the hd,actions,all,make the drive
active,then close-out.You can also on start-up,tap the F8 key,select safe-
mode with networking,enter as the administrator,access the folders.

"laurak331" wrote:

> My computer died (which uses XP), so I'm using another computer (that uses
> XP) until I get it fixed. I run a small business and there are folders I
> need from desktop from the Compaq. I've taken the hard drive out, put it
> into my other pc and saved shared files that I needed, however I am not able
> to access my desktop from the old hard drive. It says "access denied". I'm
> wondering if it's because I had a password on that user account.
>
> So to confirm... I put the old hard drive in the new pc, I was able to copy
> most files/folder I needed, however am not able to access a few that were
> saved on my desktop. With the hard drive connected to my new pc, am I able
> to remove the password... or does the fact that it denies access mean the
> folders are now corrupt?
>
> I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
> laurak331@aol.com

peter

As I understand your question the old files are "registered" to the user of that
broken PC...even if you create a new user with same name and password they are
still tied in to "old" user.You need to take possession of these folders/files
with your new user/account as I explained in your other post.
The web page link I included gives you detailed instructions on how to do
this..........why haven't you??
peter

laurak331 wrote:
> My computer died (which uses XP), so I'm using another computer
> (that
> uses XP) until I get it fixed. I run a small business and there are
> folders I need from desktop from the Compaq. I've taken the hard
> drive out, put it into my other pc and saved shared files that I
> needed, however I am not able to access my desktop from the old hard
> drive. It says "access denied". I'm wondering if it's because I
> had
> a password on that user account.
>
> So to confirm... I put the old hard drive in the new pc, I was able
> to copy most files/folder I needed, however am not able to access a
> few that were saved on my desktop. With the hard drive connected to
> my new pc, am I able to remove the password... or does the fact that
> it denies access mean the folders are now corrupt?
>
> I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
> laurak331@aol.com

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

"laurak331" <laurak331@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My computer died (which uses XP), so I'm using another computer (that uses
> XP) until I get it fixed. I run a small business and there are folders I
> need from desktop from the Compaq. I've taken the hard drive out, put it
> into my other pc and saved shared files that I needed, however I am not
able
> to access my desktop from the old hard drive. It says "access denied".
I'm
> wondering if it's because I had a password on that user account.
>
> So to confirm... I put the old hard drive in the new pc, I was able to
copy
> most files/folder I needed, however am not able to access a few that were
> saved on my desktop. With the hard drive connected to my new pc, am I
able
> to remove the password... or does the fact that it denies access mean the
> folders are now corrupt?
>
> I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
> laurak331@aol.com

Your post suggests that you do not yet believe in regular backups
(at least once every week). Some people reconsider their backup
policy when they have a near miss. Others wait until they get wiped out.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:33:03 -0700, "peter" <peter@nomalarky.net>
wrote:

>"laurak331" <laurak331@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> My computer died (which uses XP), so I'm using another computer (that uses
>> XP) until I get it fixed. I run a small business and there are folders I
>> need from desktop from the Compaq. I've taken the hard drive out, put it
>> into my other pc and saved shared files that I needed, however I am not able
>> to access my desktop from the old hard drive. It says "access denied". I'm
>> wondering if it's because I had a password on that user account.
>>
>> So to confirm... I put the old hard drive in the new pc, I was able to copy
>> most files/folder I needed, however am not able to access a few that were
>> saved on my desktop. With the hard drive connected to my new pc, am I able
>> to remove the password... or does the fact that it denies access mean the
>> folders are now corrupt?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Laura
>> laurak331@aol.com
>
>As I understand your question the old files are "registered" to the user of that
>broken PC...even if you create a new user with same name and password they are
>still tied in to "old" user.You need to take possession of these folders/files
>with your new user/account as I explained in your other post.
>The web page link I included gives you detailed instructions on how to do
>this..........why haven't you??
>peter

Close, but no cigar.

Please note the OP is using Home. By default, all users in home are
limited users and as such, the OP can't use the new user account to
take ownership of the files/folders in question.

They must logon to Home in Safe Mode, as Administrator, to be able to
do this. Even then, the new user account won't have access. After
the Administrator account claims ownership of the files, user
permissions on the files/folders in questions must be set to allow the
new user account to access them.

All in all a total pain in the ass. Better to just get Pro and get it
over with.