XP-Home- how to get a special desktop for games

Mike

Splendid

I want to create a desktop which will load none of the
programs in the start menu ie there will be no icons in
the lower right corner thus maximising the chance of
running my game smoothly. Under W98SE this was easy but I
can find no way under XP-Home. Any ideas?

"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want to create a desktop which will load none of the
>programs in the start menu ie there will be no icons in
>the lower right corner thus maximising the chance of
>running my game smoothly. Under W98SE this was easy but I
>can find no way under XP-Home. Any ideas?

Create a new user profile and then copy over your existing profile to
the new user. Log on as the new user and remove all items from the
startup settings.
Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
"How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
(tm)