Good Morning,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to purchase a Dell PC that comes
with XP Home on it. It was cheaper to get it with the O.S. & access than
without. I have open licenses for XP Pro and I want to put that on the PC
when I get it. But I have a few questions first.

This is for a small office, 2-3 computers, that share a DSL internet
connection, and share a quickbooks program. Can XP Home run in this
environment, networked like the other PCs? Or should I install XP Pro? The
other two machines are running XP.

If I can't run XP Home in this environment, what is the best way to Install
XP Pro? Should I delete the partition and run a fresh clean install of XP
Pro?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Anthony Smith
In God We Trust!

you can happily install as a upgrade from within home
--
there are no problems just challenges

In news:%23KcTTo7hFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Anthony Smith <anthony@peconet.com> typed:

> I hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to purchase a Dell PC
> that
> comes with XP Home on it. It was cheaper to get it with the
> O.S. &
> access than without. I have open licenses for XP Pro and I
> want to
> put that on the PC when I get it. But I have a few questions
> first.
>
> This is for a small office, 2-3 computers, that share a DSL
> internet
> connection, and share a quickbooks program. Can XP Home run in
> this
> environment, networked like the other PCs?

Absolutely. No problem at all. My own environment is much like
that, with a mixture of XP Professional and XP Home machines.

> Or should I install XP
> Pro?

Based on what you've told us, I can't tell which, if any, of the
extra features in XP Professional might be useful to you, but I
suspect that none are, and there would be no reason to upgrade.

XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
aren't needed, would never be used, and buying Professional
instead of Home is a waste of money.

For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

> The other two machines are running XP.
>
> If I can't run XP Home in this environment, what is the best
> way to
> Install XP Pro? Should I delete the partition and run a fresh
> clean
> install of XP Pro?

No. If you do decide to install XP Professional, just install it
as an upgrade. It's the easiest and most likely successful of all
upgrades, and almost always works just fine.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Gordon

"Anthony Smith" <anthony@peconet.com> wrote in message
> Good Morning,
>
> I hope everyone is doing well. I'm about to purchase a Dell PC that comes
> with XP Home on it. It was cheaper to get it with the O.S. & access than
> without. I have open licenses for XP Pro and I want to put that on the PC
> when I get it. But I have a few questions first.
>
> This is for a small office, 2-3 computers, that share a DSL internet
> connection, and share a quickbooks program. Can XP Home run in this
> environment, networked like the other PCs?

Certainly can. In fact unless you need the advanced security enhancements
that Pro provides, Home is perfectly adequate for this scenario.

HTH

Thanks for your help guys. I'll try the home and see how it works. I
thought I heard somewhere XP home isn't really for networks or something
similar. Maybe it was the remote desktop feature, which is a good feature.
That is only available with XP Pro. Have a blessed day!

In news:%23Sw0eh%23hFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Anthony Smith <anthony@peconet.com> typed:

> Thanks for your help guys.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> I'll try the home and see how it works. I
> thought I heard somewhere XP home isn't really for networks or
> something similar.

No, not at all so. The only two networking differences between
Home and Professional are these two:

1. Professional can join a domain, and Home can not. Either can
do a peer-to-peer network, which is apparently what you have.

2. Professional allows ten concurrent network connections, and
Home only five.