XP Home will not start

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
After updating to the latest version of Avast today, I had to restart the pc to complete the process; then after logging in to my account, the screen froze partway through the loading of my account stuff, and after waiting half an hour and trying Ctrl+Alt+Del 3x, and nothing changed, I had no option but to do a hard shutdown using the start button on the case. I have had to do this a few times over the years with no long term problems, from what I can tell. XP is good this way.

Until today, when after the hard shutdown I can no longer start the machine. Pressing the start button on the case does nothing. All that appears to be working is a small flashing green light on the back of the case, so the power is getting to the machine. I tried unplugging the power cable and waiting a few minutes to plug it in again, but still I cannot get the machine to start. Never happened before.

Now I need some real help, please.

At least I have a laptop to work with.

Main PC: XP Home SP3, emachines T5026.

Shadow_07

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
1. Most likely: Your motherboard may have received a shock from the sudden power off, I'd try and leave the whole thing unplugged overnight not just a few minutes and see what happens.

2. Possible: You have blown something on your power supply, I'd take it somewhere and get the components checked.

3. Unlikely: You may have damaged your power button overtime, I'd check to see if its making contact with the actual button inside the case, if its not it needs replacement.

rgbrgb

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for your answer. I left the pc overnight, at least 12 hours, with all cords and cables pulled out. But still not able to start the pc. Only the flashing green light on the back of the case, and a faint ticking sound in step with the light.

Checked the power button on the front of the case, and just from pushing it slowly and gently I can feel it hitting another surface inside. Maybe I'll open up the case to be certain.

To pay someone to check the pc's power suppy would likely be very expensive. Considering that the pc is several years old, and running an OS that MS will soon no longer support, and Windows 7 likely won't work my pc, maybe I should spend my money on a newer machine.
I did back up the most important files (mozy), but would like to get more off the HDD. Is there a way to take out the HDD and somehow get the files etc off it?

Update: After a couple of weeks without the PC, I finally noticed that the green light on the back of the case was solid, not flashing. This gave me the idea that maybe I should try starting it. So I pressed the start button on the front of the case, and it started as normal. So I guess it took the motherboard a very long time to recover from the shock of being shut down like that. Thanks again for your answer.