xp honeymoon over - win explorer won't explore a DVD

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
3,819
0
22,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

All of a sudden I've noticed that when I'm in XP and click on my DVD
drive in Win Explorer, the system hangs - right or left click. DVDRW,
DVD-R, doesn't matter. CDRWs are OK.

In Win98se, everything is sensible.

Lots of stuff on this in the web literature but nothing helps me.
When I turned to that XP marvel (?), system restore, it went through
the motions, restarted and then told me it couldn't manage it :)

I have 'drag to disc' installed but I turned it off - no change.

Any bright ideas, anyone?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Do you have an application for DVD burning installed. If not, you need to
install it go able to read at least some of your burned DVDs. XP has no DVD
burning capability and depending upon who the DVDs, were created, they were
originally created, the DVD drive might not be able to read them unless the
application is installed, this is especially true of packet written disk,
DVDs to which you were able to drag and drop files directly.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
news:nsles0pmigufp8ibugagb491b4bubrn3p8@4ax.com...
> All of a sudden I've noticed that when I'm in XP and click on my DVD
> drive in Win Explorer, the system hangs - right or left click. DVDRW,
> DVD-R, doesn't matter. CDRWs are OK.
>
> In Win98se, everything is sensible.
>
> Lots of stuff on this in the web literature but nothing helps me.
> When I turned to that XP marvel (?), system restore, it went through
> the motions, restarted and then told me it couldn't manage it :)
>
> I have 'drag to disc' installed but I turned it off - no change.
>
> Any bright ideas, anyone?
 

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
3,819
0
22,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)" <user@#notme.com> wrote:

>Do you have an application for DVD burning installed. If not, you need to
>install it go able to read at least some of your burned DVDs. XP has no DVD
>burning capability and depending upon who the DVDs, were created, they were
>originally created, the DVD drive might not be able to read them unless the
>application is installed, this is especially true of packet written disk,
>DVDs to which you were able to drag and drop files directly.

Thank you Michael. The CD-RWs that I mentioned that I can read were
written with Roxio's packet writer, 'drag to disc' which is installed
at the present. Turning D2D on and off makes no difference to the
problem with getting Win Explorer to display the contents of a
D2D-written DVD-RW.

When I load the DVD-RW, it is automatically spun up and a window
appears which tells me the contents of the disc. I close this and
open Windows Explorer. I can open up 'my computer' and examine the
contents of the hard disc partitions but when I select the DVD writer
for attention, the right pane remains empty and I have an hourglass
which persists for several minutes before I go through the process of
getting the Explorer window closed.

You may still have a point, though, because a DVD-video disk displays
its contents in Explorer without compaint.
 

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
3,819
0
22,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

John <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote:
>
>Thank you Michael. The CD-RWs that I mentioned that I can read were
>written with Roxio's packet writer, 'drag to disc' which is installed
>at the present. Turning D2D on and off makes no difference to the
>problem with getting Win Explorer to display the contents of a
>D2D-written DVD-RW.
>
>When I load the DVD-RW, it is automatically spun up and a window
>appears which tells me the contents of the disc. I close this and
>open Windows Explorer. I can open up 'my computer' and examine the
>contents of the hard disc partitions but when I select the DVD writer
>for attention, the right pane remains empty and I have an hourglass
>which persists for several minutes before I go through the process of
>getting the Explorer window closed.
>
>You may still have a point, though, because a DVD-video disk displays
>its contents in Explorer without compaint.


More on this - it turns out that if I wait ten minutes, explorer comes
up with the right-pane information.
 

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
3,819
0
22,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

OK folks, problem solved.

It was solved by turning off xp's version of zip. I can only surmise
that, because all the files on the discs I tried were zipped, there
was a conflict.

I got to this, not by reasoning out the above, even though I had seen
a 'eureka' post from the past which had found the same thing - sadly,
I had ignored the help because I didn't see how there could be a clash
between winzip and xpzip (since I didn't have the first installed on
my xp partition) and, in any case, I hadn't a clue how to get rid of
xpzip.

My own personal salvation?

Well, after I had uninstalled all my software, item by item, and used
ms config to turn things off, and got nowhere, I was about to delete
the partition and reinstall xp when I thought, in for a penny, in for
a pound, this is the moment to try xplite.

Someone asked me, a while back, if I could report back on xplite.
Well I can now tell you it got me out of a hole, very effectively. I
was able to selectively turn off dozens of windows xp components and
finally, since it was last on the list, came to xpzip.

Need I say more about xplite? From now on it will stay on my desktop,
ready for action the next time I get this kind of thing with xp.

G'night.
 

TRENDING THREADS