XP installation for default settings

muiz1

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
I want to re-install XP on already installed XP.The setup tries to install on C drive which does not have enough space.There is no option on which drive to install,it starts to install on drive C.I already have windows xp on "D" drive and want tu upgrade it on "D" drive.
I have changed the default settins in root directory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Current version- ProgramFilesDIR- changed to D:\Program Files

The root directory is changed but still the setup tries to install on C drive and cannot install due to low space.
Any help please.

You should have the option to select the partition to install on,.. or over the existing Windows XP OS. After the EULA (End User Licence Agreement) you should have see the screen that says:

"If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged Setup can try to repair it".

Use the UP and Down arrow keys to select an installation (OS).

To Repair the selected Windows XP installation, Pressing R

To continue installing a fresh copyu of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC

Select the line that says:

D:\Winxp "Microsoft Windows XP version"
And press "R"

This is on the first image in PART 2 of the web page that opens with this link.
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

If the option to select the partition and repair the existing operating system, is not available, the version of Installation CD may be the cause.

BTW: What you changed with:
the "ProgramFilesDIR- changed to D:\Program Files"
Has nothing to do with the Windows XP installation.