hello

i'm running a fully updated XP on a amd1600 with a gig of ram. mobo is
a k7 from msi. 3 hdd and a dvd-burning drive.
i'm using the daemon tools "virtual daemon manager" for mounting disk
images. right now with 2 virtual drives.

everything's fine but since 2 days i got a really strange problem.

after some time running XP looses my third hdd (WD2000JB), running as
slave on bus2.
rebooting xp helps it, the drive is showed in the file explorer again
but after 1 or 2 hours it looses it again.

the harddisk temperature is between 32 and 37 degrees celsius so i can
not imagine there's any problem with the temperature.

there's no problem with the other two drives (wd1600JB).
(master/slave:bus1)

what i have not tried yet is to change the third disk from slave:bus2
to slave:bus1. that'll be the next step if it turns out to be a prob
with the drive itself.

could it be a problem with XP managing drives or is it more likely the
drive that has got posessed by some poltergeist? (it works well as long
as it's "detected" by the file explorer)

thank you for any suggestion/hint/idea/beer.

burnsson

--
burnsson

I had a similar problem awhile back.

My problem was fixed by replacing the ide cable.

Items I would check to make sure:
1. The jumpers on the drives on the cable.
2. That the cable is properly seated. Also applies to power cable for the
drive.

If nothing else seems to do any good, I would rearrange the drives on the
cables

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"burnsson" <burnsson.1g9rsz@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> hello
>
> i'm running a fully updated XP on a amd1600 with a gig of ram. mobo is
> a k7 from msi. 3 hdd and a dvd-burning drive.
> i'm using the daemon tools "virtual daemon manager" for mounting disk
> images. right now with 2 virtual drives.
>
> everything's fine but since 2 days i got a really strange problem.
>
> after some time running XP looses my third hdd (WD2000JB), running as
> slave on bus2.
> rebooting xp helps it, the drive is showed in the file explorer again
> but after 1 or 2 hours it looses it again.
>
> the harddisk temperature is between 32 and 37 degrees celsius so i can
> not imagine there's any problem with the temperature.
>
> there's no problem with the other two drives (wd1600JB).
> (master/slave:bus1)
>

> what i have not tried yet is to change the third disk from slave:bus2
> to slave:bus1. that'll be the next step if it turns out to be a prob
> with the drive itself.
>

> could it be a problem with XP managing drives or is it more likely the
> drive that has got posessed by some poltergeist? (it works well as long
> as it's "detected" by the file explorer)
>

> thank you for any suggestion/hint/idea/beer.
>
> burnsson
>

> --
> burnsson

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:30:54 +0000, burnsson
<burnsson.1g9rsz@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>after some time running XP looses my third hdd (WD2000JB), running as
>slave on bus2.

Have XP tighten your third HDD. Then it won't be loose anymore.