xp on another pc

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it

Simon

You can't add this XP to it.. you have to buy another XP.. you might want to
run the compatibility checker on your laptop before you buy anything.. if
you have an genuine OEM Microsoft XP CD, you can run it in Win 98, selecting
the compatibility checker when the XP window opens..

Alternatively, you can check out you laptop here, assuming that it is
'connected'..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

You might also want to go to the laptop manufacturer website..if they have
NO support or drivers for your model, there is a very good chance that XP
will not run..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"simon" <simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
> my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it

You are getting your software confused! Windows XP can not be installed on
multiple systems, at the same time if the XP is a Microsoft Retail boxed
kit. Apparently, Microsoft has permitted you to install Office XP (separate
product) to be instaled onto a Desktop and Laptop at the same time.
However, I do not use Office XP, so I can not state this for a fact!

"simon" <simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
> my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it

"simon" <simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
> my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it

They want $200 for each machine for XP home and $300 for each machine for XP
Pro.

dl

Assuming your refering to winxp, you dont say, you buy another copy The
licence for winxp is for a single installation - I assume you dont have a
volume licence.

PS before upgrading any win98 pc you want to ensure that the hw supports
winxp

simon wrote:
> how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
> my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
on which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"simon" <simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> how do i add this xp to my labtop as well as my pc.
>> my labtop has 98 and want to add this xp to it
>
>They want $200 for each machine for XP home and $300 for each machine for XP
>Pro.

XP Upgrades are a lot cheaper than that - $79.84 at Staples for Home,
$199.99 for Pro. BestBuy has Pro for $179.99 but wants $99.99 for
Home.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP