Xp or Vista?

aj_sa_

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Is the new vista release stable or should I just stick to xp and wait for windows 7?

I have a AMD 64*2 7750 BLACK EDITION + 4GIG DDR2 800 RAM Asus M3A78-EM motherboard with onboard ATI 3200 AND 500GB hd

Thanks for ya time and advice

@ aj_sa_ OK AJ Squared Away, heres my input you presently have 4G of memory if you decide to go Vista just go with Vista 32, Vista 64 really performs best above 4G of memory.

If you already have WinXP 32 then the only real adventage you'll see is maybe the Aero feature and the ability to play games in DX10, but that will be seriously limited with your present onboard video, and you may not even be a gamer anyway.

If your present system is running fine and doing everything you need theres really no need to move to Vista, I'm presently dual booting WinXP Pro 32 and Vista Home Premium 32, and I tend to use XP about 80% of my total time.

Some apps that were specifically designed for XP just run better on XP, some older apps for XP will not even run on Vista 64, so your decision needs to at least take into consideration what you may have to give up to go the Vista route from XP.

That said, you can always dual boot between WinXP and your new Vista if you go that route, and as notherdude has already said, Vista is stable and its performance is on par with XP, but there is more to take into consideration than just that.

My 2cents. Ryan