XP PCs grayed out in Server Manager

I have a small NT domain with one NT4 server, SP6, using static IP
addresses, no WINS. I recently added 2 XP PCs to the domain, they seem to
authenticate fine, logon script runs fine, but under Server Manager they are
grayed out. I can ping the IP or machine name, but cannot UNC or map a drive
to either one. What gives? TIA, Larry

Server and Browser services are running on both? (Control Panel-->
Services)

(Server in order to be able to share resources, Browser to participate in
building the browse list which is what Server Manager works off of; Browser
depends on Server.)

"Larry D" <ldempsey@webster.edu> wrote in message
>I have a small NT domain with one NT4 server, SP6, using static IP
> addresses, no WINS. I recently added 2 XP PCs to the domain, they seem to
> authenticate fine, logon script runs fine, but under Server Manager they
> are
> grayed out. I can ping the IP or machine name, but cannot UNC or map a
> drive
> to either one. What gives? TIA, Larry

Also make sure that Netbios is enabled over TCP/IP.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Colin Nash [MVP]" <cnash x@x mvps.org> wrote in message
> Server and Browser services are running on both? (Control Panel-->
> Services)
>
> (Server in order to be able to share resources, Browser to participate in
> building the browse list which is what Server Manager works off of;
Browser
> depends on Server.)
>

> "Larry D" <ldempsey@webster.edu> wrote in message
> >I have a small NT domain with one NT4 server, SP6, using static IP
> > addresses, no WINS. I recently added 2 XP PCs to the domain, they seem
> > authenticate fine, logon script runs fine, but under Server Manager they
> > are
> > grayed out. I can ping the IP or machine name, but cannot UNC or map a
> > drive
> > to either one. What gives? TIA, Larry

The services were running but NetBIOS was not. Once I started that I could
map a drive to it fine. Thanks for the help.

Larry