XP Pro Maximum Network Connections reached at 5 Computers

Hi All:

I am baffled. I have one XP Pro computer that hosts a shared MS Access
2000 database which it connects directly to via a system DSN. I have 4
additional XP Home computers that can connect to that database
simultaneously with no problems via system DSN as well. All computers
are accessing the DB through a VB application.

I understand the XP Pro will allow up to 10 connections. The problem
is, when I add the 6th XP Home computer to the network & try to access
the same database, the next computer to try to perform an operation on
the DB is locked out.

In addition, none of the XP Home computers are accessing any other
shared resource on the XP Pro computer.

So I am confused. Anyone have any ideas? And, how can I view the
current live connections on my XP Pro computer to see what is going on?

Thanks
Lis

From a command prompt;
net sess

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lis" wrote:
| Hi All:
|
| I am baffled. I have one XP Pro computer that hosts a shared MS Access
| 2000 database which it connects directly to via a system DSN. I have 4
| additional XP Home computers that can connect to that database
| simultaneously with no problems via system DSN as well. All computers
| are accessing the DB through a VB application.
|
| I understand the XP Pro will allow up to 10 connections. The problem
| is, when I add the 6th XP Home computer to the network & try to access
| the same database, the next computer to try to perform an operation on
| the DB is locked out.
|
| In addition, none of the XP Home computers are accessing any other
| shared resource on the XP Pro computer.
|
| So I am confused. Anyone have any ideas? And, how can I view the
| current live connections on my XP Pro computer to see what is going on?
|
| Thanks
| Lis

"Lis" <ladupree@comcast.net> wrote in news:1127140906.470709.60870
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's 10 /connections/, not computers. Each of your XP Home computers may
be opening 2 connections to your XP Pro computer.

> Hi All:
>
> I am baffled. I have one XP Pro computer that hosts a shared MS Access
> 2000 database which it connects directly to via a system DSN. I have 4
> additional XP Home computers that can connect to that database
> simultaneously with no problems via system DSN as well. All computers
> are accessing the DB through a VB application.
>
> I understand the XP Pro will allow up to 10 connections. The problem
> is, when I add the 6th XP Home computer to the network & try to access
> the same database, the next computer to try to perform an operation on
> the DB is locked out.
>
> In addition, none of the XP Home computers are accessing any other
> shared resource on the XP Pro computer.
>
> So I am confused. Anyone have any ideas? And, how can I view the
> current live connections on my XP Pro computer to see what is going on?
>
> Thanks
> Lis

XP Pro allows 10 max.

XP Home allows 5 max.

Depending how your system are connecting to each other, if one passes thru a
XP Home PC, then you could be getting this message.

"Lis" <ladupree@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I am baffled. I have one XP Pro computer that hosts a shared MS Access
> 2000 database which it connects directly to via a system DSN. I have 4
> additional XP Home computers that can connect to that database
> simultaneously with no problems via system DSN as well. All computers
> are accessing the DB through a VB application.
>
> I understand the XP Pro will allow up to 10 connections. The problem
> is, when I add the 6th XP Home computer to the network & try to access
> the same database, the next computer to try to perform an operation on
> the DB is locked out.
>
> In addition, none of the XP Home computers are accessing any other
> shared resource on the XP Pro computer.
>
> So I am confused. Anyone have any ideas? And, how can I view the
> current live connections on my XP Pro computer to see what is going on?
>
> Thanks
> Lis

Yes I know , I said it wrong. I understand it is connections and not
computers. How do I see how many 'connections' each computer is making
to the XP Pro machine?

All of the XP Home computers are connecting directly to the Access
database on the XP Pro machine. They do share resources between
themselves - I mean each XP Home computer is sharing/using a printer on
the other (label printers & deskjet printers) but none of the XP Home
computers is accessing anything other than the database on the XP Pro
computer - or at least it shouldn't be.

Thanks to everyone for help

Lis

I saw that after I posted the message - Sorry & Thanks - will try
tonite...

Lis

From a command prompt;
net sess

--

"Lis" wrote:
| Yes I know , I said it wrong. I understand it is connections and not
| computers. How do I see how many 'connections' each computer is making
| to the XP Pro machine?
|
| All of the XP Home computers are connecting directly to the Access
| database on the XP Pro machine. They do share resources between
| themselves - I mean each XP Home computer is sharing/using a printer on
| the other (label printers & deskjet printers) but none of the XP Home
| computers is accessing anything other than the database on the XP Pro
| computer - or at least it shouldn't be.
|
| Thanks to everyone for help
|
| Lis

No problem. You can also;
Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Computer Management(local)\System
Tools\Sessions