I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TravelMate
2308WLMi laptop.

I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says

"Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or provide
the location where the file can be found."

I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve it?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

MANU CADDIE
New Zealand

Hi,

> I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
> capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
> it?

No, that's not the problem. Chances are that the disk might just need to be
cleaned. Pits, scratches, even a bit of dust can interfere with the file
copy process. Also, make sure you have disabled your antivirus software
before running setup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

manucaddie wrote on Tue, 5 Jul 2005 02:55:02 -0700:

> I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TravelMate
> 2308WLMi laptop.
>
> I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
>
> "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
> XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or
> provide the location where the file can be found."
>
> I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
> capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve
> it?
>
> Many thanks for any advice offered.

The case shouldn't be an issue - it's more likely that the CD is damaged or
dirty in the area where the file is located and that file can't be read.
Have you tried copying it manually to your hard drive using XP Home? If it
won't copy, the CD is defective.

Dan

manucaddie wrote:
> I am updating from XP Home to XP Professional on a new Acer TravelMate
> 2308WLMi laptop.
>
> I have encountered a 'Copy Error' that has come up which says
>
> "Setup cannot copy the file migregdb.ex_. Ensure the disk labeled 'Windows
> XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' is in the drive selected below, or provide
> the location where the file can be found."
>
> I can see the file that it is looking for in the I386 folder but it is in
> capitals rather than lowercase - is this the problem and how do I solve it?
>
> Many thanks for any advice offered.
>
> MANU CADDIE
> New Zealand

Problems copying files or corrupted files during installation are
most often caused by defective or sub-standard hardware; in order of
likelihood, either RAM, the hard drive, or the motherboard. On very
rare occasions the installation CD is the problem.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

kepler2

In my experience, install issues that begin with migregdb.ex_, icwconn1.ex_, icwconn2.ex_, etc. usually have complex causes. They aren't media issues. They are caused by:

1. A hotfix or service pack different than the install media whose source can't be accessed
2. An environment variable that changes source or destination location

If the message box clearly points to an existing unexpanded source file, then Windows thinks that you need a different unexpanded source file that it can't find.

The question remains, how do you get Windows to forget about the newer, unexpanded source for a hotfix or service pack that you no longer have access to?

Bruce Griffith