XP professional - reinstallation CD

I just refreshed by work laptop, which had a customized version of XP loaded
on it. The packaging included a sealed reinstallation CD that has Windows XP
Professional including Service Pack 1a. The packaging says "for distribution
with a new Dell PC only".

I want to use this CD to upgrade my home PC that currently has Windows ME.
Will this work, despite the warning that it should be used on a new PC?

sak0309 wrote:
> I just refreshed by work laptop, which had a customized version of
> XP
> loaded on it. The packaging included a sealed reinstallation CD
> that
> has Windows XP Professional including Service Pack 1a. The
> packaging
> says "for distribution with a new Dell PC only".
>
> I want to use this CD to upgrade my home PC that currently has
> Windows ME. Will this work, despite the warning that it should be
> used on a new PC?

Have you first asked your employer how he feels about your wanting
to steal his property?

Further, OEM licenses are _permanently_ bound to the first PC on
which they are installed. An OEM license, once installed, is not
legally transferable to another computer under any circumstances.
Additionally, An OEM CD cannot be used to perform an upgrade of an
earlier OS, as it was designed to be installed _only_ upon an empty
hard drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Hi,

No, it won't work.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sak0309" <sak0309@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just refreshed by work laptop, which had a customized version of XP
>loaded
> on it. The packaging included a sealed reinstallation CD that has Windows
> XP
> Professional including Service Pack 1a. The packaging says "for
> distribution
> with a new Dell PC only".
>
> I want to use this CD to upgrade my home PC that currently has Windows ME.
> Will this work, despite the warning that it should be used on a new PC?

Also, unless your home PC is an exact make, model of hardware, and BIOS,
then the CD will not even begin the installation, as it is looking for a PC
with a specific hardware and BIOS configuration - this is called BIOS
locking the OS software to the hardware it was delivered with.

--
StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, give me turbos"